Restoring tired flooring

jeremyshaw

Visit site
The flooring in our saloon is fake teak and ebony strip. It’s given good service over 12 years but is starting to look a bit tired and bleached in places. I am not sure how they make this stuff but suspect it is by printing a substrate then applying a clear film over it.

Quite why we have lighter patches I don’t know. Maybe impact damage, maybe seawater. Certainly not bleach. See pic.

I have tried a few things to bring it back. Polishing helps but does not totally revive.

I suspect it is the top layer that is damaged.

Anyone have any experience of perking this stuff back up? I suspect conventional varnishes will not adhere and I may have to live with it or replace it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

tcm

Visit site
um replacing will make it look new. Going to Ikea and buying some nice light cream floor mats will cover it over here and there, cheaper ones are non-slip, and gotta be the way to go for a boat that is for sale?

jeremyshaw

Visit site
Thanks for those thoughts. I guess I will have another go at bringing it up and maybe cover with sheet vinyl if it does not look good enough.

Wever

www.sailblogs.com
Somebody suggested to me a mixture of turps, meths and linseed oil to brighten up internal varnish. Not sure of the ratios I used equal proportions on internal woodwork and it worked a treat. Why don't you try it on a small area of floorboard (I'm not sure what it will do to the slipperiness of the floor). Let me know how you get on.