Restoring Teak Formica

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Princess went overboard in the early '70s when they covered almost every visible inboard surface on the Princess 32's with teak effect formica (except the loo which was bright blue!).

Whilst on my annual cruise up the Thames I decided to try and restore some areas of the formica which had faded in the sun. None of the polishes had any effect so I tried T-Cut to see if it would restore the surface. No such luck, in fact after wiping off and drying the surface it looked if anything more faded than before.

One night I was wiping the cockpit table (real wood) with teak oil and was thinking how nice it looked and then had this bizarre notion to see if it would spruce up the teak formica - BINGO ! ! ! - it actually worked and the surface now looks almost as good as new. Dont know how long it will last but several days after application it still looked good.
I can only surmise that the T-Cut abraded the surface enough for the teak oil to soak into the surface.

Anyway, now you know....Teak Oil also works on Teak effect formica..........not everybody knows that !

MoBoChat Images and Profile Pics at www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/mobochat

ccscott49

Visit site
What! You didn't know that, shame on you! I use brasso, T-Cut is a bit too abrasive, the teak oil will last for a while actually, but a good polish with brasso always works for me. I'll try the teak oil on mine after brassoing!

Greg2

Visit site
The things you learn...!
Actually, very useful - my P32 has very faded formica in the cockpit and I had been wondering if anything would restore it to it's former glory (??!) Replacement with timber of some kind may be on the cards in the long term but for now Brasso and teak oil sounds good...I think!

Greg