Restoring Curlew III, a Falmouth 6 Ton Pilot

CurlewAndMaya

Visit site
By a stroke of incredible luck, I recently found myself the owner of CurlewIII. She's a 26ft sloop built in 1968, based on Rodney Warrington Smythe's designs for a small 6 ton pilot. I thought I'd share some photos of the restoration process. She was in pretty incredible condition when I got her, despite sitting at the dock completely untouched for at least three years.

Here she is when I first got her.
T52V34

67W3YS

8rP884

First thing was to scrape off the hideous fibreglass on her cabin, and the peeling varnish on her deck. I then did the cabin sides in cetol lite.
3x3rr1

Next step was to sand the decks. That took a while.
54N39k

Then, painting the decks! I used cetol marine natural teak. I really love this stuff, it looks beautiful and it's stupidly easy to apply. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey, but well worth it. I used a mask though, because you don't want to smell it!
33A864

And finally, to paint the cabin tops! Here's a shot of me doing just that:
Ty9m5e

Once all was said and done, here's the finished product:
E8ZC77

It's not a bad before and after comparison, eh?
kX90XU

Thanks for reading! The next step is taking her out of the water and painting her hull a nice white colour.

If anyone has any experience with these little boats, I'd love to hear from you! Curlew is a pretty wonderful lady, I'm very lucky to have her. I really enjoyed the work that I've done on her so far.

To many adventures!

Maya