Restarting a Honda BF2

Goldie

Visit site
My Honda BF2 usually starts first or second pull from cold when it has been sitting on the sternrail. Where I have a problem is in restarting it when it's been used recently. The problem usually occurs when it's been sitting on the back of the tender on a beach and canted up. The engine is 3 years old, still under warranty and has (supposedly) had all the "recall" type mods completed. I'd be very grateful for any ideas before I invest more cash in investigation. It has just been serviced by a Honda dealer and the fault remains. Hopefully, somebody out there might know why... Thanks in anticipation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We have a Honda 2hp and have no problems but we did have that problem on our previous Mariner 2hp. On the Mariner the carburetter flooded when the engine was canted up, the cure was to shut off the fuel just before arrival to drain the carb bowl or if alongside run it completely dry. From habit I try to do this with the Honda but it will run all day on one carburetter full of petrol.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yoda

Visit site
It could be flooding from fuel left in the carb. Try shutting off the fuel and running for a short time before shutting down.

Yoda

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Just a little point on running yr 2T Mariner dry...Doesn't do the bearings/bore any good at all. I used to do this on my Yam 2hp before dumping it in the back of the car, but was put right on this by someone...pretty obvious really!!

However on this Honda its not an issue being 4T.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/groups/solentswap/

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Re: Dry 2strokes

Absolutely right Castaway: shutting off the fuel to stop a 2 stroke does a lot of cum,ulative damage - not just to bearings but all the moving parts. The engine is running without oil every time you do it - just think how long your car would last...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Never Thought Of That!

Absolutely right, it didn't occur to me. That said the old Mariner lasted 11 years (maybe more) and was mis-treated most of it's life. After a first service that cost around 1/3rd of the purchase price new, it was never serviced again, just left on the pulpit ready for use. I think I replaced the spark plug once but this was uneccesary as the fault was found to be a blocked idle jet. It finally packed up in Camaret, well to be truthful it would still run but only in 5 minute sessions. It wasn't a blocked jet/dodgy plug (the limit of my DIY) and I suspected a water pump problem, but the telltale water was never easy to see. Traded it in (they gave us £100 equivalent, about 1/3rd of the purchase price new) towards the new Honda in Benodet, rather than muck about as we wanted to move on quickly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rabbie

Visit site

Absolutely correct - you just beat me to this post!. Not many 2 stroke car enigines around Harry!.

<hr width=100% size=1>.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

That's how it seems to me, too. If there's fuel going through the engine then there's oil as well. There may be a small reduction as the carburettor bowl approaches empty but there is a short reserve of lubricant anyway, the bearings and rings don't become dry immediately the fuel stops.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
With my Honda, after being carried in the car, I always remove it first, prop it upright near the launch ramp, open the fuel cock and valve in the cap, then get the dinghy and all the gear. After fitting to the transom(tilted) it always starts 1st or 2nd time. I always try to run the carb dry when coming in to shore, but have never had a problem with it not starting after being tilted.
Try shutting the fuel off about 100 yards from the shore so the carb is nearly empty; the only problem then is you will have to wait for the carb to fill up again before trying to restart. I've never had a problem when it's been left vertical in the dinghy.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Spyro

Visit site
Can you pull the start cord ok?
I believe you can get a problem with 4 stroke outboards when they have not been layed down the correct way what happens is the oil can run into the cylinder causing it to appear as if the engine has seized when you try to pull start it. to cure you have to take out the plug give it a few pulls then replace the plug and away you go, is this the case?

<hr width=100% size=1>