Reprogram McMurdo EPIRB near Lefkas/Preveza

Indigoed

Visit site
Hi folks

Our recently purchased boat came with a McMurdo Smartfind E5 EPIRB.

The previous owner was German and the EPIRB has his MMSI number programmed into the device. I've confirmed this by running the hex code through Cospas-sarsat.

We are from the UK and the vessel is now UK registered.

Does anyone know of a company in or around Lefkas/Preveza who can remove the German registration and add our MMSI?

Thanks in advance.

prv

Visit site
Worth noting that in the UK system your MMSI is not programmed into the EPIRB itself. I'm aware that some countries do, but in UK usage the EPIRB just transmits its own ID and Falmouth Coastguard tie that to your vessel details at their end, using their Beacon Registry database.

Pete

Indigoed

Visit site
Worth noting that in the UK system your MMSI is not programmed into the EPIRB itself. I'm aware that some countries do, but in UK usage the EPIRB just transmits its own ID and Falmouth Coastguard tie that to your vessel details at their end, using their Beacon Registry database.

Pete

If I jsut register the EPIRB against my own details without removing the previous MMSI number stored is that likely to cause me a problem should I ever need to activate the EPIRB?

I know that the German country code is programmed onto the EPIRB, ie. 211

prv

Visit site
I think you need to do something with it.

The country code determines which earth station gets the message - if you don't reprogram the EPIRB then your distress message will be delivered to (I think) Bremen, not to Falmouth. I don't know whether Bremen will accept registration from a UK vessel, but all in all it would be more sensible to be registered with Falmouth and carry an EPIRB with a UK country code. Whether that's a new one (£370, for comparison against whatever the reprogramming fee ends up being) or your old one with a new number.

I only mentioned the MMSI point to avoid any confusion about exactly what reprogramming you'd need.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Having looked up the model number, I see the McMurdo E5 is a non-GPS EPIRB. That implies to me that it's quite old - GPS beacons have been the norm for many years. How many years of battery shelf-life does it have left (given that it has presumably been serviced and had it replaced at some stage)?

I think in your position I'd be seriously considering a new GPS-enabled EPIRB with ten years of shelf life rather than faffing around looking for someone to reprogram the old one.

Pete

Reactions: vas

Tranona

Visit site
Agree with Pete. When I took my boat off the Greek register and onto the British I had the EPIRB reprogrammed by the UK agent and it cost with the new batteries over 50% of the cost of a new unit.
Perhaps better to buy new here already with UK identity and register it in Falmouth.

All 3 makers Ocean Signal, McMurdo and ACR are around the same price

Indigoed

Visit site
On reflection the advice above is solid so I think I will just buy a new one. At least I know its good for the next few years and there are no issues with where it is registered. Thanks everyone.

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
If the boat is UK registered and you presumably have a new UK MMSI, has the German MMSI been deregistered with their equivalent of Ofcom?

In the meantime, until you get a replacement, the EPIRB will still work and generate whatever emergency response it would have before. The details on the German registry should still identify the boat. Just any contact details will be inappropriate.