Replacing impellers

Seastoke

Visit site
I was just reading , on the sealine forum, and the guy says he plasters the impeller and the strainer with fairy . He says it helps with the impeller does not stick , also you see the bubbles coming out at the rear so you know it’s pumping . It maybe an old tip.

oldgit

Visit site
Any lubricant to assist getting the impeller in with minimum effort, washing up liquid,even a dab of grease or KY will do the the job.

alt

Visit site
Just to add....
When installing your new impeller, get a cotton bud and smear it with grease. Use that to rub the female (metal) splines (that mates to the shaft) of the impeller with grease... put most of it on the inside (ie. engine side) of the impeller as most of it will push out anyway.

And yes, rub the outer side of the vanes with fairy washing up liquid, goes in much easier.

I forked out for the 'impeller removal tool' (basically a bolt within a bolt) that you can thread into the genuine impellers but on the KAD300, the shaft is so long that it covers the threads to no good to me. Instead, I use a Knipex Pliers Wrench and pull straight out (I see some clowns 'wiggling'.... what are they expecting apart from a damaged shaft/seals)

Momac

Visit site
I forked out for the 'impeller removal tool' (basically a bolt within a bolt) that you can thread into the genuine impellers but on the KAD300, the shaft is so long that it covers the threads to no good to me. Instead, I use a Knipex Pliers Wrench and pull straight out
I found the same as did a friend with AD41's with so it must be common on KAD and AD engines.

Momac

Visit site
..or, rather, common on the pump fitted to these - and therefore other engines with the same pump (might be Johnson F7B-9)
Yes I expect they all have the same pump.
In my case the brass cover plates are Volvo Penta branded but obviously the pumps are not made by Volvo Penta just like most of the other engine ancillaries

Whaup367

Visit site
..on a related note: should I be concerned by the different Impellors, some with a rubber end cap and some without? Both apparently VP parts for the belt-driven pump on my MD22p.