replacing grab rails

flykeith

Visit site
One for the 'timberologists'

I am wanting to fit grab rails on my new doghouse, the old ones were bolted through, over the years the plugs had failed causing leaks and rot. It was suggested that I just screw the new rails on from underneath, which seems like a neat way to do it but I am concerned about the strength. The rails are teak 24mm wide 35mm high. My question is what is an acceptable guage of screw for this thickness of teak, probably be 3inch bronze? And is this method strong enough?
Thanks
Keith

xtiffer

Visit site
Bolt them again but this time coat the bolts with Dolphinite if you can get it.
Then glue the plugs with epoxy. Should be good for many years.
Cheers,
Chris

Peterduck

Visit site
Ask yourself if the rail is for appearance only, or if someone who you care about is likely to grab it in extremis, hoping that it will stop them from going over the side. A screw, when all is said and done, relies on the strength of the wood into which it is screwed. I would only contemplate bolts, and Stainless steel bolts at that; not brass! I endorse 'Xtiffer's' comments.
Peter.

sarabande

Visit site
I've just done the same job on my resoration project. 4inc brass screws from the underside of the cabin deckhead, but I did bed the handrails on sikaflex to a) seal the screwholes b) provide additional strength to the rails in case someone on a safety line jerks on it.