Replacing Formica.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
As part of Ladybird’s refit I’ve been looking at the drop-leaf table in the saloon. It’s covered in quaint 1960’s blue Formica, some of which is lifting at the corners.
How feasible would it be to strip off the Formica and replace it with some nice teak veneer? Anyone tried it successfully?

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
I used to have a Jeanneau Sunfizz with horrible orange formica doors in the galley. I removed all the trim and covered the surfaces with Fablon of a more tasteful (IMO) hue/pattern. Refitted the trims, worked a treat. Easy and inexpensive.

Elessar

Visit site
As part of Ladybird’s refit I’ve been looking at the drop-leaf table in the saloon. It’s covered in quaint 1960’s blue Formica, some of which is lifting at the corners.
How feasible would it be to strip off the Formica and replace it with some nice teak veneer? Anyone tried it successfully?
I got the veneer from robbins and put it on top of the Formica with evo stic.
youd Never know.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I've seen the veneering results in Elessar's boat, if anything it looks better than the original. Very professional, so this is definitely doable.

If you want to strip the formica it'll have to come off cleanly, veneer is pretty unforgiving of lumps and holes in the substrate.

Rappey

Visit site
I laid formica over formica but used an angle grinder with an abrasive disc to degloss and rough up the old to allow the contact adhesive to get a good grip.
Its possible to get formica sheet up to 3200 x 1500mm Op,s table would be pretty huge to need a join.

Elessar

Visit site
Several time over probably.

Some good advice folks, thanks. I won’t be laying veneer over the Formica as it’s lifting in places. I’ll try getting it off with a hot iron and take it from there.
ok the veneer is very thin and will show even small imperfections. So you may need to lay 4mm ply where you took the formica off if it's bumpy.