Replacing anode on Penta sail drive

Cookie Munster

Visit site
Just purchased Etap26 with Penta 110 saildrive, and I need to replace anode on saildrive. It looks like I need to remove cone shaped device in front of propeller, which I presume just unscrews off (albeit with the aid of long screwdriver or thin metal rod), and then take off prop. Is it easy to remove prop? do I need special tools such as bearing pullers to get prop off and replace anode? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

DaveS

Visit site
Just purchased Etap26 with Penta 110 saildrive, and I need to replace anode on saildrive. It looks like I need to remove cone shaped device in front of propeller, which I presume just unscrews off (albeit with the aid of long screwdriver or thin metal rod), and then take off prop. Is it easy to remove prop? do I need special tools such as bearing pullers to get prop off and replace anode? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Since no-one else has answered, I'll have a go. On the assumption that the bottom end of the 110 leg is like the 120, then:

Yes, you have to unscrew the cone nut (r h thread so comes off anticlockwise), but first remove the locking hex socket screw at its end. You might find the cone nut quite tight: after trying big screwdrivers etc. I put a coach bolt through the hole and a piece of angle iron on each side to make a big lever to get it started. You need to find a way to immobilise the prop while you apply torque to the cone: if you have a "chopping" type of rope cutter fitted, an easy way is to stick a bit of wood in the cutter jaws.

The prop is splined and should just slide off without needing a puller provided it was greased when it was put on.

If there is a rope cutter fitted you will probably find that the standard Volvo anode is too thick. Special ones can be obtained from the cutter manufacturers, but a standard one cut down in a lathe is cheaper.

VicS

Visit site

Is the saildrive not covered by the engine owners manual ? That should tell you how to go about changing the anodes.

VP engine manuals can be down loaded from
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Here is an exploded diagram of the 110S drive:
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7742230-44-15167.aspx

Last edited:

orion50

Visit site

It is, or should be a straightforward job. No special tools required. I replaced mine no bother.

Sailfree

Visit site
Good advice above, but don't forget to put Loctite on the screw.

Even with loctite I found the standard anode fixing of two philips headed screws came undone frequently (possible through erosion at the screw position making them loose) and the anode spun loose behind the prop.

I solved the problem by buying replacement countersunk SS screws from baseline with an allen hex key head. Locktite and tightening them up with a hex drive on a socket set cured the problem.

Boat was a heavily used charter boat in the water for 50 wks per year.

Last edited:

Laurie

Visit site
The standard allen self locking bolt is just that; therefore it will need renewing when removed a few times for piece of mind. In 14 years, I never had a problem.
Removal of prop is as previously described, v. simple.