Replacing a Type 300 Autohelm course computer with an S3G

Whitelighter

Visit site
I have a new(er) S3G course computer which should do a better job than my existing original Type 300.

To swap them over is it just a case of wiring up the fluxgate, rudder, seatalk and power for unit and motor? all the terminals seem to be the same on both boxes?

aquapower

Visit site
I have a new(er) S3G course computer which should do a better job than my existing original Type 300.

To swap them over is it just a case of wiring up the fluxgate, rudder, seatalk and power for unit and motor? all the terminals seem to be the same on both boxes?

Should be as easy as that, both course computers used same fluxgate, rudder reference, seatalk leads, pump etc.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Should be as easy as that, both course computers used same fluxgate, rudder reference, seatalk leads, pump etc.

Does the fact that my boat uses a constant running pump impact the ease of switch? I have a seperate black Autohelm box which is required to run the pump - if i leave that in place and just swap the T300 for the S3G will it all work or did the S3G need a different box for the constant pump?

I assume the S3G will perform better than the type 300? If there isnt an improvement I wont bother

aquapower

Visit site
Does the fact that my boat uses a constant running pump impact the ease of switch? I have a seperate black Autohelm box which is required to run the pump - if i leave that in place and just swap the T300 for the S3G will it all work or did the S3G need a different box for the constant pump?

I assume the S3G will perform better than the type 300? If there isnt an improvement I wont bother

I have never fitted a constant running pump but looking at the install diagrams it's the same for both the course computers you have, the S3G will be a lot better than the older 300, things move on, my Evolution is good, does same job as what you have but so easy to install and set up.

aquapower

Visit site
Thanks.

How much setup needs doing with the course computer? I assume it's done by the control heads (ST6002 and ST8002).

Yes, set up is done through control head, I seem to remember that certain functions won't work unless you have a more up to date control head, but not a problem, it's been a while now since I have set one up so can't remember exactly.