Replacement for fluorescent strip light.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
May I ask why / if some people like tube lights when a coin sized LED would flood the whole cabin if one wished (or have a removable shade if one only wanted some illumination in a particular area?) A Cree xml 3.5volt 1100 lumen drawing 1 Amp floods a large space.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
May I ask why / if some people like tube lights when a coin sized LED would flood the whole cabin if one wished (or have a removable shade if one only wanted some illumination in a particular area?) A Cree xml 3.5volt 1100 lumen drawing 1 Amp floods a large space.
Can you give more details please? - I've not heard of these.

jac

Visit site

Two reasons.

Replacing the light was not on the winter list till I broke the predecessor so was thinking like for like rather than a well thought out planned upgrade (albeit with LED) not fluorescent tube

The old fitting had screw holes through the headlining. If I get a similar sized fitting it will cover the screw holes meaning I don't have to replace all the vinyl to get a decent look.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Two reasons.

Replacing the light was not on the winter list till I broke the predecessor so was thinking like for like rather than a well thought out planned upgrade (albeit with LED) not fluorescent tube

The old fitting had screw holes through the headlining. If I get a similar sized fitting it will cover the screw holes meaning I don't have to replace all the vinyl to get a decent look.

Good point.

theoldsalt

Visit site

If you make a recommendation at least provide a link to a source !

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Can you give more details please? - I've not heard of these.

Yes, anyone can buy Cree LEDs and fit them correctly (voltage and current regulators).

I took out all the filament bulbs for a friend and fitted LEDs and he was amazed. They did reside inside an old glass fitting so I can see why the OP needs something to cover the marks left by the strip fitting.

With no lens, the LED emits its light at a very wide angle and can flood the saloon, for example. They are about $5 a piece for proper Cree ones, but will last forever and produce good light (choose colour (Kelvin) to one's taste 2700K = warm white 6000-7500=blue tinge - same lumens and wattage but just seems brighter, but not everyone's cup of tea)

edit, I don't have any video showing the effects, but if you wish I could dig out the camera and pm you some photos and make a quick video. But if you are installing yourself, note all the advice on the forum about voltage and constant current and heatsinks etc.

Last edited:

MARNEN

Visit site
I have a 300mm led tube and the increase in illumination is great, compared with the two fluorescent tube fitting it replaced.much less lecky used for more lumens.
Go for warm white if you have the choice.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
If you make a recommendation at least provide a link to a source !

The OP does not wish to have Cree LEDs.

If they did, I would supply a link. I import them at cost as I buy whole sale (my source does not sell to private individuals), so I would simply offer to sell one or two to the person at cost.

I therefore didn't supply a link - also I did not want to be accused of trading as poor Nigel took a keel haul recently- I found all his recommendations better than any other product on the market and even (sort of) proved it with a test: see here:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?380084-mildew-experiment-bleach-vs

I found his Amazon link to be the best mildew cleaner going.

A recent poster (VicS or Searush?) also recommended Kleeneze to prevent mould RETURNING) and I bought a bottle - it seems really good.

KAL

Visit site
Having managed to drop and break the housing whilst removing the headlining I now need to replace the whole unit.

Anyone got one of these http://www.boatlamps.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d190.html and if so any thoughts on it.

Light is mounted over the saloon table and is intended for maximum comfortable lighting, not mood.

Any alternatives?
We replaced the two tubes in our saloon unit with just one of these boatlamps LED tubes. It gives a lovely warm light that is just as bright as the two tubes it replaced. Thoroughly recommended. Adrian also supplies great replacement LED bulbs for reading lamps, again, a lovely bright warm light.