Replacement for Anemone

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I recently sold Anemone a 28 footer after a series of mishaps (when unattended) persuaded me that owning a boat and not living nearby was too much of a commitment. I am still planning to do a reasonable amount of sailing as crew on friends boats. I am now feeling acute 'withdrawal' symptoms and am considering getting a small, trailable boat but have no idea what. Possible Hunter Liberty, Sailfish etc. Need small cabin 2 berth, cooker, heads of some kind but don't want to return to large boat ownership. Any suggestions?
Needs to be towable with Merc C220

Last edited:

ianat182

Visit site
Two suggestions for you , a Seal 22 or a Swift 18/20, both are trailerable and the Seal is the more performance oriented. I have sailed on both and the Swift 18 was comfortable,stable and roomy for its size the 20 version had an extended transom otherwise the same hull form. I have friends that moved from their Seal22 to a Pageant, but of course she is not trailerable .
The Seal is on her trailer and for sale with outboard PM if interested;she's ashore at Ringwood.

ianat182

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
What tow vehicle do you have?

Large saloons can tow maybe 1500Kg, my First 18 (800Kg+trailer+gear) was OK with one of those.

Some people carriers can tow 1800Kg, my 20' Copland (909Kg+trailer+gear) is OK with that.

A 4x4 will take you up to 3.5Te which will put you in the realm of trailable boats rather than trail sailers. Of course towing a lighter boat would be a breeze with a 4x4.

Pick your tow vehicle then see what boat you can get.

Signed Out

Visit site
I was in the market until recently, and although I didn't a good look over one, was researching the Liberty and was drawn to it quite a lot. Quite pretty and very capable of sitting on the bottom, Quirky in a nice way and apparently not as slow as you'd imagined, if not close winded. Big double when saloon table put down apparently, and seperate heads. Even been a modified one cross the atlantic I believe.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
My first cruiser was a Hunter Minstrel,the gaff rig version of the Liberty.We had alot of fun sailing it on the East Coast.It is a sturdy boat with a big loo, two big berths and a quarter berth.I towed it with a Ford Scorpio 2.9 without a problem.I have also sailed the Liberty.The launching system is very clever as the boat sits on a wheeled cradle which is winched up onto the towing trailer.The boat has small twin keels so you can sit on the bottom with the plate (centreboard)up and it draws 1 ft 2".With the plate down it draws 3 ft 6".You operate the plate with a winch in the cockpit.