Repair old fletcher or buy replacement maxum

lemsip1

Visit site
Hi

Quick question from new member

I am looking at getting my old speed boat back in the water. Its a fletcher with a 200hp mariner on the back. After being sat for ten years its looking a bit dilapidated although the engine looks fine. its been covered and is generally ok but....
The steering is locked (it may need new swivel pin and maybe some other bits) and this along with a full service and will cost some money .

So the question is. I have a change at a maxum 1800 (2001) with a mercruiser 4.3 (renewed in 2010) for £5k .

What would anyone do in this situation - fixing the old fletcher up or buying the maxum?

lem

[2068]

Visit site
Depends on condition of engine and everything else on the Fletcher ... e.g. does the engine actually start, is seating/upholstery ok.
If it really is a service and some steering bits, I would get it running properly and smartened up first anyway.

If it's going to be more work than that, you need to decide whether you want to be a boat restorer or a boat user :)
There's nothing more frustrating than spending the entire summer getting a boat restored, which all comes together in November.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Have a look at the floor, that could be a deciding factor. Older Fletchers have a plywood floor with no waterproofing at all, they rot very easily. Check for soft spots all over, especially under the seats where they bolt into the floor.

Boatbore

Visit site
Unless it's beyond saving, repair the fletcher. Even without knowing the detail I'd bet the Fletcher is the better looking boat........ I never liked the Maxums. They were built for budget boating and I always think it shows ! Look how many old fletcher are still going strong.