renovating teak grab rails

Burnham Bob

Visit site
We are having to sell the boat due to increasing age and decreasing mobility. SWMBO thinks we should tart up the grab rails which haven't had any attention for years and are now just weathered grey teak. Any suggestions for ease and simplicity?

neil_s

Visit site
You can coat them with expensive goo if you want to, but my teak handrails come up fine with a good scrub with salt water.

johnalison

Visit site
Treating with Boracol/Patio Magic will leave the wood looking clean and wholesome, if not as smart as varnish substitutes. If you treat it now you will see the effect in a week or two. If nothing else, preparation for further treatment will be much easier. Scrubbing will just remove wood.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I'm not sure if mine are teak but they come up a beautiful deep auburn colour with a light sanding which lasts for a couple of years after coating with Ronsons Yacht Varnish. Sanding and varnishing are much easier if you can unscrew them and treat them indoors.

Yngmar

Visit site
We use this, see link below, when we found that Woodskin evaporated in about three months.

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/

+1 - certainly the best option if the goal is to smarten up the boat for selling. Looks very nice. To prepare, sand/scrape the wood, bleach if necessary.

sandscrapevarn.jpg

Skylark

Visit site
Any suggestions for ease and simplicity?

My commiserations for having to sell the boat, BB

Treating with Boracol/Patio Magic will leave the wood looking clean and wholesome, if not as smart as varnish substitutes. If you treat it now you will see the effect in a week or two. If nothing else, preparation for further treatment will be much easier. Scrubbing will just remove wood.

+1. It doesn’t get easier or more simple than this.

MikeBz

Visit site
Clean them up but don't varnish (or similar) - if you do you're just making an ongoing maintenance issue for the next owner. If you don't then they still have the option.

doug748

Visit site
a local suggestion is rubbing with teak oil - easy and quick - any comments?

Similar but I like Danish Oil, because there is little surface film it produces an exquisite finish.
Only try it if the teak is very clean. And only if you think you are going to sell quickly, if you have to leave it over the winter, without further attention, you will be back to near where you started.