Renew part 1 registration. How does it work?

Maxi_10

Visit site
We are onboard in Belize and our part1 registration is due for renewal in August.

My questions are. How does the renewal arrive post or email? How long before the renewal date is it sent out?

Finally I searched the MCA website but couldn't find an email address to send these question to does anyone have contact info for them?

laika

Visit site
If my experience is anything to go by, don't bother emailing them: I did a couple of times without reply. They did pick up the telephone so if you have a cheap international phone option (Skype call out or google voice?) use that.

The renewal is a new laminated document sent by post (although I didn't ask if there were alternatives). I don't live at my "address" so not sure exactly how long it took but it arrived it was within a couple of weeks of me sending them a cheque.

Contact details including email and phone number are here:
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

Maxi_10

Visit site
Thanks Laika. I'll get in touch with them. We are in a similar situation as we don't live at the address.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, a letter a renewal form will be posted to the address at which the boat is registered about 8 weeks before expiry. The system works on the basis that the register has an address of the registered owner or his nominated representative in just the same way as car registration. If you are not at your address you can nominate a representative to to handle it for you. Can be anybody - family, friend, solicitor as examples.

john_q

Visit site
If you are not at your address you can nominate a representative to to handle it for you. Can be anybody - family, friend, solicitor as examples.

WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE BLUE BOOK

Couple of points here,

The MCA would not allow my solicitor, who has my power of attorney, to sign the renewal as he was not the registered owner, the papers had to be sent out to Belize for me to sign and then returned to them in the UK and then the certificate was issued and I had to then arrange for the paperwork to be sent out to me (all at my expense by FedEx)

The MCA also want payment by cheque (remember them!!!!) no electronic option

This time round I had to prompt the MCA via email as I received no renewal form but I will say that Lucille Wozencroft, Registration Officer, sorted things out promptly once contact was made

Email Lucille.Wozencroft AT mcga.gov.uk (change the AT to @ sign)

How it worked this time was as follows

Renewal form emailed to me for printing
I signed the form and posted it back to the MCA from Belize along with the cheque
The MCA produced the new certificate and sent it to my home address in the UK
A friend in the UK posted it onto me in Belize

If you are somewhere where the post cannot be trusted then you will need to courier it

It was still a pain in the A**E as to do if you are not in the UK and their procedures need to be brought into the 21st century but if you allow enough time it can be done

Last edited:

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
"...but if you allow enough time it can be done"

Sadly not too much: We were actually in the UK about three months before ours expired and enquired about renewing earlier. They wouldn't do it; as I recall the Document had to be within about 6 weeks of expiry before we could renew it.

john_q

Visit site
"...but if you allow enough time it can be done"

Sadly not too much: We were actually in the UK about three months before ours expired and enquired about renewing earlier. They wouldn't do it; as I recall the Document had to be within about 6 weeks of expiry before we could renew it.

My papers expired on 21st March 2016, I emailed the MCA on 24th December 2015, had a reply from them on 30th December and the new papers were at my home address in the UK by 25th January 2016

Maybe I was lucky but I did point out I was not going to be in the UK at the time and having no boat papers would be a MAJOR issue for me

Chalker

Visit site
They also ask that the old one be returned with the renewal application. I just wrote and explained that I needed it every couple of weeks as we moved on and they accepted that and produced the new one. Hopefully a friend will bring it with him in a couple if days time.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
My registration and survey was made through a UK agency who acted as my UK representative for the five year period of registration. As I knew that expiration would occur in June 2016 I wrote to the agency that I would require a further representation for the renewal, they replied that we should wait for the MCA renewal notification. I was somewhat concerned about that as I planned to be aboard from April on and without postal contact.

Then two weeks ago I received directly to my Swiss address the MCA renewal reminder with a form for completion; this was the first direct contact I had with the MCA, the original certificate had been sent via the agency. I completed the form and returned it together with the certificate (requested) and my cheque. If the renewed certificate is not returned either directly from the MCA or from the agency within the next few days, which I doubt, I shall have some difficulty as I leave for Italy at the weekend. There will be no one at home to relay the certificate and, if I am away cruising, to where could they send it anyway?

Such a procedure, together with the inability to make credit card or bank transfer payment, is archaic and clumsy, unsuited to many of us who do not live in the UK and who are ineligible for the Part III registration.

laika

Visit site
They also ask that the old one be returned with the renewal application. I just wrote and explained that I needed it every couple of weeks as we moved on and they accepted that and produced the new one.

Same here when I called them up. They were very nice about it. I wonder why they ask for the old one back if they don't really need it?

the inability to make credit card or bank transfer payment, is archaic and clumsy

There is a credit card payment form on the MCA registration web site. I was happy to just write them a cheque so no idea if there are issues with using it.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
There is a credit card payment form on the MCA registration web site. I was happy to just write them a cheque so no idea if there are issues with using it.
Then I stand corrected, the renewal form only mentioned cheque payment.

I wonder why they ask for the old one back if they don't really need it?

I was happy to send mine back as I have a copy - indistinguishable from the original, no problem these days with a good quality scanner, printer and lamination equipment. I keep the original at home for safety and the copy in the boat document satchel, convinced no foreign harbour official could possibly tell the difference when I myself couldn't - in the final years before retirement I worked for De La Rue banknote security systems. In fact, in a brief moment of panic, I had both before me and wasn't sure which was the original for return, but then realised which one I had placed where .... erm, I think.

Maxi_10

Visit site
Update. I sent an email to the address in Laika's link. 2 days later the renewal documents arrived st my sisters house as I requested. No reply to the email but they did what was asked straight away. Good service.

I now have 3/4 months to get the paperwork sorted and can collect the new registration when I'm back in the UK in the summer

Thanks to everyone for your help

doug748

Visit site
WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE BLUE BOOK..........

A point of information here in case anyone is contemplating a first registration:

Guernsey (and for all I know other smaller Red Flag states, Jersey etc) still retain the Blue Book. You do now have to regularly re-register but you get 10 years rather than 5. In certain cases your boat may not be liable for UK tax on your insurance premium.

You can in fact transfer your registration if you value the Blue Book highly. However it would cost £300 to opt in, plus (probably) a charge to opt out at Cardiff.

They run a smooth, old school, operation at St Peter Port. One disadvantage may be a slightly greater level of interest in your boat by the French authorities - but they seem mainly interested in French nationals who might be dodging homeland legislation.