Renew Injectors DIY?

stefan

Visit site
In my chase for a lacking 100 rpm on my TAMD122:s w. 1400 hrs. a suggestion was to renew the injectors. My Volvo dealer said it s easy but I am suspicious. Can the old ones be removed easy enough without heating and fueltubes breaking etc. ? They've been there since 1989! Any experiences?

(bottom is clean, good props and new air filters)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
i agree,
but if you insist on removing them be prepared for loads of grief, in theory they should come out easy enough but they are probably stuck in there and then the seats will need sorting, pay a man who knows.
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

stefan

Visit site
Thanks for the encouraging words. - Now I certainly wont touch the injectors until the season is over. I'll try STP as a
compromise. (So now I start to pour expensive stuff in the
tanks also. So far I've wondered how it is possible I smear
more expensive stuff on the bottom, where it cant even be seen, than I drink - Maybe a nice XO could be used as an economical replacement for STP, Cruiser premium etc?)

The 100 rpm make a 10% difference in speed, range, economy at planing speeds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeteMcK

Visit site
Any of the fuel injector cleaners would do no harm as a first attempt at improving the things. Comma's Diesel Magic (3.99) works but the garages and taxi boys around here swear by Forte at about 10 quid a tin; in my experience, Forte is much better but less easy to get hold of. Try motor factors, or MOT repairers of the back-street variety. Use it in a near empty tank for best results.

<hr width=100% size=1>

seaesta

Visit site
A sage and seasoned mechanic once told me that diesel injection systems are best left SEVERELY alone. As a former diesel fleet manager and engineer I think he is right. The diesel fuel treatments sold at MOT stations to get diesel cars through the smoke test seem to work really well and on my boat at least have improved starting and general performance.
I would try the fuel treatment and disturb the injectors only if you have to. Tens of quid spent on treatment is peanuts compared to fitting any new Volvo parts
Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

mtb

Visit site
Pour the diesel cleaner into a new filter and pop it on at least it will get straight through and not be diluted in the tank.
A 400ml bottle does 100Lt so you can soon spend tons of dosh.
Using the correct tools taking the injectors out should not be to hard, and getting them checked and reground and ajusted is not to expensive.
If you need to see what the correct tool looks like let me know but the early ones are only a forked lever which pushes the injector out some times with a gentle tap at each side to help things along
I used to get new nozzle and seatings from a Lucas deal in Hayes which was cheaper than getting them reground I have the correct pump to check the breaking pressures so setting em for me is easy.
The modern injectors have shims for breaking pressure ajustment, so at some point I'l have to pay GGGRRRRR even the scrap yard charges £4 each for second hand injectors bloody robbery that's what it is.

Cheers
Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>One day son all this will be yours #### off I dont want it

Capt_Scarlet

Visit site
I had my Yanmar injectors serviced by Marine Power in Burlesdon for £15 + VAT each - came back looking like new. Engine runs very nicely but I had rebuilt it so difficult to say if the injectors made any difference.

<hr width=100% size=1>