Removing powder coating from guard rails

cygnusv

www.best-camping-stoves.com
We're coming out of the water at the end of March, replacing a few ribs and all the other 'stuff' that happens every couple of years. Although I don't need the boat out of the water to do it, I do intend to do a bit of work topside if weather conditions prevent me from doing the necessary 'down below'. One of these jobs is the forward guard rails. The up-stands are knackered powder coating, and although the connecting 6mm wires are stainless, the adjusting links, which were originally galvanised, now look horrible. I intend to sort these as part of the work.

My question is this. I know that paint stripper won't touch powder coating. Has anyone found either a way, or a process, to prepare the metal for new powder coating? How effective is shot blasting? What medium to use etc. Emery cloth or having the guard rails re-made are not an option. Any thoughts?

TIA, Stu

Tranona

Visit site
Your powder coating contractor will know what prep is required and will almost certainly get it done for you.

colhel

Visit site
We used to dip them in acid. Another way was to make a bonfire and burn it off. Shot blasting isn't very effective at removing the powder coat but is very effective at preparing the substrate after using either of the above methods. If you're getting them re coated, I'd do as Tranona and give them to a contractor to do the whole job.