Removing Masking Tape

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I have always used a rag dipped into diesel. It even removes the labels from my tobacco tins. I just let the paper soak for a few minutes and then it and any residue from the adhesive rubs off easily with a dry bit of old towelling.

Giblets

Visit site
You might like to try Big Wipes hand cleaning towels. They do a great job of removing silicone sealant so masking tape should be a doddle to them. Would be kinder to the varnish as well.

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Right oh, I will stand by for all the comments my suggestion will get, I will say one thing, dont knock it till you have tried it, here goes!

Once the paper is removed, any sticky left behind can be removed by spreading Peanut butter on it, leave for around 12 hours and then wipe clean, this works with all sticky residues.

Now awiting all the comments, but beleive me it works.

I would love to see the detailed chemical reaction set out!

Chrissie

Visit site
another one for wd40 soaked in, or baby oil, the oils in either will gradually soften and dilute the glue, you might need to open the surface of the paper to let the oil get at the glue, this you can do gently with a pan scrub.

Jabamusic

Visit site
Only one substance REALLY WORKS with little to no effort at all and it is called ZOFF (not "F" OFF!). The one I used was liquid and not the wipes (which are available on line), The wipes are used to remove plasters- so are safe for use on skin so will be fine on gelcoat.

Believe me I used some this morning after an hour with every other type, brand and substance I could find. ZOFF simply took it all off paper, glue and all.

However, no idea where or if it is obtainable anywhere. -this bottle was 10 years old and was prescription only at the time. Any body come across it?

Oh and by the way - no connection, just a relieved punter who stupidly left the masking tape on too long! DOH!

Edit: Found some- Oz though http://www.medshop.com.au/smith-nephew-zoff-adhesive-remover-liquid.html

Avocet

Visit site
Just to resurrect this thread again, with a slight twist...

I've painted Avocet in 2-pack about 2 months ago, and a fortnight ago, I painted the red cove line back on. I used some of that green "Frog" tape (which was PANTS, by the way - the red paint bled underneath it really badly!) and I used that blue "14 day" stuff (which was actually better from the bleeding point of view, but by no means perfect).

The tape was on for a good 48 hours (including overnight dew). The Frog tape came off easily. The blue tape on one side came off easily, but has left a fair bit of sticky residue on the other side. Does anyone know which of the recommended concoctions in this thread would be safe to use on 2-pack that's 8 weeks old and in close proximity to single pack that's 2 weeks old?

Simondjuk

Visit site
Two pack paint will be resistant to most solvents. You should be fine with either white spirit or acetone.

As for the tape itself, the quality matters more than the colour. I never use anything but 3M, anything else is a false economy.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
May I point out (gently) that if the glue in masking tape was soluble in white spirit or a similar type solvent then wet paint would dissolve the glue and the tape would not adhere at the edge etc and that would defeat the object of masking...

White spirit will NOT remove masking tape glue. It 'might' provide a lubricant for the mechanical removal of the glue and the abrasion of the paper backing, but it won't dissolve the glue itself. I've tried it and was struggling until someone pointed out the obvious as stated above...

Petrol and acetone and other more volatile thinners might... I used some thinners once and some acetone another time. Zoff is a bit expensive for removing large areas of tape.

I invariably use the low tack blue masking tape nowadays. I've learned the lesson the hard way. With a bit of luck the blue stuff will still come off weeks later but its safer to try and get it off within a few days.

Avocet

Visit site
May I point out (gently) that if the glue in masking tape was soluble in white spirit or a similar type solvent then wet paint would dissolve the glue and the tape would not adhere at the edge etc and that would defeat the object of masking...

White spirit will NOT remove masking tape glue. It 'might' provide a lubricant for the mechanical removal of the glue and the abrasion of the paper backing, but it won't dissolve the glue itself. I've tried it and was struggling until someone pointed out the obvious as stated above...

Good point!

I tried those heavy duty hand wipes earlier and they're not touching it either. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try Acetone!