Removing a Blakes Seacock

MedMan

teall.name
I need to remove an old 1 1/2 inch Blakes Seacock in order to replace it with a new one. It has clearly been put in with Sikaflex and looks well stuck in. I know that it is fitted from the inside by bolts put in from the outside. However, I will need to loosen it from its bedding but its position tucked under a moulded-in floor makes swinging a hammer on the inside almost impossible. Can anyone give me any hints on tackling the brute.

Thanks.

David.

ccscott49

Visit site
Somehow get some heat to it, sikaflex will brteakdown at 100 deg/c below that it will start to get soft, you may then be able to move it, if you can get at them, driving the bolts out after removing the nuts would assist. I take it you have strippe3d the seacock out of the housing already? you may be able to get something into the hole from inside or outside and wiggle it after heating, you can also heat it from outside, with a small gas torch, through the hull. Good luck!

Juggler7823

Visit site
REmoved 2 last weekend located at bottom of locker. Undid nuts, used long steel drift plus big hammer to punch bolts flat with flange, then smaller tipped punch to tap the bolts below flange. Then tapped seacock round to free it. Then used large socket from outside to tap it into boat. Took 1.5 hours

Roy

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Got mine out very simply:
1. removed nuts from bolts inside boat
2. Found piece of softwood about 1" square or so that would fit inside seacock throat from outside and stick out a few inches
3. Used club hammer to bash wood and seacock came away from seating quite easily.

Was able to reseat and use original bolts and plate which didnt even move.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com
www.boatsonthethames.co.uk

LORDNELSON

Visit site
I have just removed, serviced, and replace four Blakes seacocks on my boat (we have two heads). In the case of one of the heads the bolts undid allright and were punched down to the seacock level with a parallel punch and the seacock then punched in from outside the hull with a steel drift (an old rigging screw body) the other heads much the same except that three of the bolts sheared off as soon as I tried to undo the nuts (de-zinced). I obtained eight new bolts with nuts from Blakes (Cost: 8 number M8 x 75 cup square bolts phospher bronze £2.97 each, 8 number M8 hex nut phospher bronze £0.97 each, postage and packing £3.5, VAT £6.10 Total £40.96. Would be interested to know of a cheaper source!) There is a most helpful technical advice chap at Blakes who knows all the answers and reasons and is very good value (Mr.Ken Atkins, Tel: 01489 580580), Blakes also have a good web site at www.blakes-lavac-taylors.co.uk. Hope this helps.

ccscott49

Visit site
You could try Anglia Stainless Steel, in Bungay, for your bronze bolts next time, Blakes probably get them there! I think its Bungay, or bury st edmunds, somewhere around there anyway!