REINFORCEMENT UNDER MAST

philwebb

Visit site
Hi folks. I need to have my mast taken off and attend to problems underneath caused by water ingress. This problem was fixed by the boatyard some years ago and I think that the remains of the balsa core was scraped out and a piece of marine ply glassed in to support the mast. I was thinking of replacing the ply like for like and epoxying it back in covered with layers of woven glass fibre or carbon glass fibre. Is there a better material than marine ply to strengthen the area under the mast??

B27

Visit site
It may depend what's below the deck.
If you only need a small are, between the mast foot and a post under the deck, then solid GRP might be an option.
If you need to spread the load over a bulkhead or something, ply or solid wood might be better.

I would have expected ply rather than balsa in the stressed area right under the mast foot, but rotten ply is much like rotten balsa...

chris-s

Visit site
G10 seems to be highly regarded for this with its minimal compression properties as seen in the recent ‘sailing fair isle’ YouTube episode where they rebuild there compression post support.