Redoing Araldite bodge.

Vara

Visit site
Instead of using Loctite I secured a threaded adjustment(steel in aluminium) screw with araldite rapid,working on the principal that Araldite was all I had and that once adjusted it wouldnt need touching.
Well it does,any ideas on freeing?
Problem complicated by one of the components having a plastic coating,melting point unknown!

FullCircle

Visit site
Low heat, plus gas, leave for a day to penetrate.
Impact driver, first in the undoing position for a couple of welts, then turn it to tighten for a welt.
Repeat the unwind/wind on welting for a bit.
If no joy, low heat, plus gas, leave for a day.
Repeat.
Oh Dear!

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
We actually advise Araldite in preference to other thread locks in stern gear components and bearings. But....2011 or Precision is better than rapid for taking apart as it has a much lower yielding temperature. Its very good for the prevention of crevice corrosion in stainless, we also use it to bed composite bearings and remove with heat.

Heat should work as long as the other bits can stand it, good luck.

bobgosling

Visit site
In a similar vein. Any recommendations for a glue which can cope with high(ish) temperatures ? Needed for the lid on a bread-making machine ( don't ask ... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). I tried Araldite but it softens when the machine is in use just enough to break due to the leverage on the hinge.

Vara

Visit site
Thanks all for replies (replying to self to avoid Lakesailor..........always a good strategy)

Boiling offending item for 10 mins and then a bit of brute force did the trick.

Did eggs at the same time for lunchtime salad,green as a cabbage me.