Recommendations (from Watchet)

watersbluebird

Visit site
We are setting sail from Cardiff Bay on Saturday in our Maxi 87 and have booked for an overnight stay in Watchet. I would like to explore a bit more of the Somerset coast and maybe as far as Ilfracombe, but I don’t fancy staying there with a fin keeler. Is there anywhere you would recommend for us to spend a night at anchor? We would also like to go ashore on a tender or paddle boards. Thanks for any advice.

RobWard

Visit site
We are setting sail from Cardiff Bay on Saturday in our Maxi 87 and have booked for an overnight stay in Watchet. I would like to explore a bit more of the Somerset coast and maybe as far as Ilfracombe, but I don’t fancy staying there with a fin keeler. Is there anywhere you would recommend for us to spend a night at anchor? We would also like to go ashore on a tender or paddle boards. Thanks for any advice.
We've spent a few nights at Combe Martin. One of them was a bit wild, but we didn't drag - holding must be OK.

Birdseye

Visit site
Porlock is ok.

For a fin?

Dont want to depress the OP but there simply arent any places on that coast between watchet and padstow where a fin can stay afloat in good shelter - and its arguable that you arent afloat in watchet these days. In a small fin if you dont wish to dry out in Combe you could condider anchoring off Lundy There are of course other places you can anchor before you get that far

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
For a fin?

Dont want to depress the OP but there simply arent any places on that coast between watchet and padstow where a fin can stay afloat in good shelter - and its arguable that you arent afloat in watchet these days. In a small fin if you dont wish to dry out in Combe you could condider anchoring off Lundy There are of course other places you can anchor before you get that far
Yes. Choose the spot. It shoals slowly.
We have anchored there a few times (bilge keeler mind) but it can be uncomfortable.

graham

Visit site
In the Weir I have moored in the pool with a 4 ft draught fin keel. Not been there for 5 or 6 years now best to ring ahead and check with the harbour master.