Recommendation for 20L fuel cans.

NealB

Visit site
For years, I've been using the military style steel fuel cans for petrol (our catamaran has a 4 stroke outboard).

They're getting a bit long in the tooth, and their bottoms are a bit flakey.

I've seen a few plastic versions, and wonder if they'd be better?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

dmmbruce

Visit site
I recommend that you get some more of the metal 'jerry can' style ones on ebay or somewhere if you can.

I made the mistake of getting plastic 22 litre ones. I have tried different types. They tend to leak. Get damaged too easily. They are expensive. Yes they are easier to put fittings into and use directly as a fuel tank. However if you wish to pour from them into a funnel/tank they are awful.

Mike

northwind

Visit site
I'd buy some 10litre ones instead, easier to move about and pour from. (I use a jiggling tube these days to decant fuel, as I found it safer than upending big tanks).

Machine mart sell metal ones, powder coated. Avoid plastic ones, they swell up when warm, and leak. The closing top on a good jerry can with a locking pin is far safer.

Machine mart also sell a nozzle that will fit on their cans for pouring which is worth having.

David2452

Visit site
I've had some good 20L ones that have been flying out at £12, they can also have an 8mm take off so they can be used as a tank and a long flexible spout both available as accessories

VicS

Visit site
I have a 25 litre plastic outboard petrol tank.
No problems with it although the way in which it inflates itself in warm weather is a bit alarming. Does not leak and has sustained no damage!

I think you will find that 5 litres is the maximum legally allowed in the UK for a portable plastic can and 10 litres for a metal can. Any filling station that allowed you to fill larger would be in breach of their licence or whatever.

Needless to say I do not fill my tank at a filling station but rather via a couple of 2 gallon metal cans.

With hindsight I would have bought two smaller tanks rather than the one large one

Last edited:

Matata

Visit site
I bought two different types of jerry can. They look nearly identical but the first is X military ?x Nato and it has an excellent coating that is in great condition after 20 yrs.Sort of grey/blue colour. It pours very well and the lid is an excellent fit. The other one is the same design but the green paint is flaking off and surface rust on the outside.Not x army. When you open the pouring spout the vent tube is a different shape and the petrol glugs out with a lot more mess. hope this helps! Nik

VicS

Visit site
Not tto sure how fuel goes stale ina properly secured container. Always ready to learn :)

I think two things probably happen esp if plastic cans or tanks are used.

I think more volatile components are lost and some components become oxidised.
I store petrol successfully from one year to the next but only in sealed, full ( to minimise the air space) metal ( to prevent loss of volatile components and inwards diffusion of oxygen) cans .

I'd not risk it for longer than a year. I always filter stored petrol before use and usually mix it 50:50 with fresh.

The use of a fuel stabiliser may be advisable although I have not yet found it necessary.. It may become essential as the ethanol content is increased!

www.bavariayacht.info
The use of a fuel stabiliser may be advisable although I have not yet found it necessary. It may become essential as the ethanol content is increased!

I've started using this stuff as a trial at home, the various petrol gardening devices always need new fuel after the winter. It's a pity the fuel producers don't add more stabiliser with higher ethanol fuels.

prv

Visit site
I think you will find that 5 litres is the maximum legally allowed in the UK for a portable plastic can and 10 litres for a metal can. Any filling station that allowed you to fill larger would be in breach of their licence or whatever.

Indeed - unless they are "dedicated tanks for portable equipment". The difference between a plastic jerrycan and a 20 litre plastic fuel tank for a small RIB is basically just the fuel takeoff pipe...

Wouldn't surprise me if some places didn't let you fill portable tanks even though they should. Never had any trouble with the 25 litre plastic tanks for my mate's little motorboat though.

Pete

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com

Close ...

According to the usual licence terms (but it can vary) you can fill 2 x 5 litre plastic or 2 x 10 litre metal or 1 x 20 litre metal. The containers must be EN or UN approved fuel containers. You can also fuel portable appliances (generators, compressors etc.) with an integral tank and fill a manufacturer supplied type approved portable tank for a portable appliance (eg. an outboard fuel tank)

However, forecourt operating companies can and do issue instructions to their staff that are more restrictive than the above principally because of the difficulty in identifying whether a container is UN approved or not from the till where the pumps are authorised. Principally, this concerns "jerry" can style cans which come in two varieties - Nato pattern and UN pattern. The latter have a locking pin to secure the cap and are approved for use as a fuel container, the former don't. Strictly, at BP we're not allowed to authorise the filling of jerry cans of either type as the company policy is all containers must have a screw top (easy to identify from a distance you see) but provided we're not run off our feet and I've got time to check the for the presence of a locking pin I'll usually authorise UN pattern cans provided the locking pin is in place

Anyway, 20l containers are a nuisance to store and carry so I'd suggest going with 10l jobs anyway. Provided they're proper fuel containers you shouldn't have any issues with filling them either

William_H

Visit site
Far better is to buy another outboard fuel tank with hose pump and connector. (I have had a 10 litre plastic for about 28 years no problem.) This will give you very rapid and safe changeover from low tank to full tank. No decanting no spillage. olewill

Jim@sea

Visit site
I wanted a new military style steel fuel can and I am fortunate enough to have a card for a Motor Trade cash and carry wholesaler and I bought 2. Then a few days later I was in a retail shop which supplies Farmers with hardware, engine parts, (Perkins etc) and they had the same cans on retail sale cheaper than I had paid at a Wholesale Supplier. They also had some 10 litre ones as well. There are tractor dealers everywhere. I buy my batteries from them as they have a constant turnover of the larger batteries which big diesel engines require.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Close ...

According to the usual licence terms (but it can vary) you can fill 2 x 5 litre plastic or 2 x 10 litre metal or 1 x 20 litre metal. The containers must be EN or UN approved fuel containers. You can also fuel portable appliances (generators, compressors etc.) with an integral tank and fill a manufacturer supplied type approved portable tank for a portable appliance (eg. an outboard fuel tank)

However, forecourt operating companies can and do issue instructions to their staff that are more restrictive than the above principally because of the difficulty in identifying whether a container is UN approved or not from the till where the pumps are authorised. Principally, this concerns "jerry" can style cans which come in two varieties - Nato pattern and UN pattern. The latter have a locking pin to secure the cap and are approved for use as a fuel container, the former don't. Strictly, at BP we're not allowed to authorise the filling of jerry cans of either type as the company policy is all containers must have a screw top (easy to identify from a distance you see) but provided we're not run off our feet and I've got time to check the for the presence of a locking pin I'll usually authorise UN pattern cans provided the locking pin is in place

Ok, So how does all this bumf work, here? : http://statics.192.com/estreet/original/large/1253/12537424.jpg

lynall

Visit site
What the eye cant see and all that!
I use 20 ltr cans and only once had a debate, but by the time the guy had finished debating i had filled them up and stuck them in my boot, so dont go to sainsburys stations as they are a bit anal.

Lynall

JayBee

Visit site
I don't know if the Plastimo 20 litre plastic cans are still available. If so, they are a good buy - moulded in really heavy duty plastic, with main cap and air vent cap attached with brass chain.

I have had three of these for several years without problems. I also have exactly similar water containers, in black, which carry a NATO stock number.Plastimo fuel container.jpg

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Probably CCTV, in theory. But if Brigantia thinks it's hard to see what people are up to through the window with a queue at the till, I'm sure the thoroughness of supervision by some screen operator will be even lower.

Correct on both counts :D

Actually, it beats me how they get a licence for those unattended sites at all 'cos there's no way they could possibly be compliant with all the stuff we have to comply with on a manned site but hey ho

Of course, there is no way you'd catch me using the unmanned site at the Asda near the boat to fill up containers. On no, perish the thought