Recommend me a waterproof iPad case...

Iain C

Visit site
I need a waterproof cover for my iPad 2. Ideally I'd like a "hard" cover, that gives suitable protection, and that ideally I could Velcro into position in the cockpit somewhere. And what would be really good, would be the ability to leave it plugged in and charging in operation.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

owen_b2

Visit site
I've just purchased a Griffin Survivor... Yet to try it in anger, but it seems pretty sturdy so far. Bright pink too, for cockpit visibility!

pbs

Visit site
I've had my eye on that one for a while now. Been waiting for it to become available. Anyone know if an iPad 3 will fit into the iPad 2 case?

Yes, I got one last week and it fits my iPad 3 perfectly. Very pleased with it so far although I haven't yet tested their claim that it floats! It has a fitting on the back for an optional mounting bracket but so far I haven't felt a need for that. The chunky rubbery case feels very solid and well built and stops the iPad sliding around on smooth surfaces so it can safely be left on a chart table.

The matt screen cover does prevent a certain amount of glare but I found I had to turn the brightness up to maximum to make it readable in bright sunshine. It also reduces the touch sensitivity a little but still works fine. I've got the Navionics UK & Holland HD app and with the waterproof case I feel it really makes the iPad a viable standalone chartplotter.

Highndry

Visit site
See if Lifeproof have launched their iPad cover yet. The iPhone 4 version is absolutely awesome. Fully waterproof and no loss of functionality. I think the website is Lifeproof.com.

maxi

Visit site
I have an 'Aqua ipad case', which is pretty good, robust & well sealed; but, I have yet to find a waterproof case that will accommodate the charger lead whilst sealed.

Pkewish

Visit site
I bought a Scanstrut Life Edge fully waterproof case for £99 and a neat mounting bracket for a further £29. I have is mounted on the bulkhead of my 21 foot. Although you don't have any charging capability (other than going down below and taking it out of the case and plugging in) it works really well. Screen is easily read in sunlight (although I sometimes have to shade the sun with myself or my hand for finer detail work). It got a complete battering from waves and spray and the odd slapping from the jib sheets with no damage at all. Did need a good run under a cold tap when I go it home though.

I ran Imray's mapping last weekend for over 10 hours and only used 55% of battery life. But I did have the screen saver coming on after 2 mins. I was worried about battery life but now it's proved it can do a good days work and I can remove it and charge up overnight. Hope this helps.

laika

Visit site
www.intelligentmarineservices.co.uk do a waterproof, shockproof, floating ipad hardcase. Stays waterproof while charging as well. Ipad and mini. Mounting system is ram-mount which they are are adding soon. Military grade so I bit more expensive, but worth it I reckon.

You've trawled the forum for 3 threads on ipads to revive, recommend a company that started up a couple of weeks ago and post as though you're just a disinterested satisfied customer. It's OK to say "I just started importing these and you might want to look at my wares because I think they're appropriate for your needs" but you really should declare an interest.

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
I use a Proporta Beachbuoy case for my mobile and would consider one for an pad. Does not offer much protection against knocks, can't charge or use earphones if sealed though. What suits me is that is easy to use and seal therefore I use it, I use it a lot for walking in rain.

Appears to be waterproof when I tested it with some tissue inside in the sink.

Jabamusic

Visit site
I use a Proporta Beachbuoy case for my mobile and would consider one for an pad. Does not offer much protection against knocks, can't charge or use earphones if sealed though. What suits me is that is easy to use and seal therefore I use it, I use it a lot for walking in rain.

Appears to be waterproof when I tested it with some tissue inside in the sink.

+ 1

West Coast

Visit site
Is it just me, but why would you need a waterproof case? I find I can only use my ipad in the cabin, where it is relatively dry, as it is almost impossible to use in sunlight......?