Reading a dipstick correctly

rwoofer

Visit site
This sounds a silly question, but how do you use a dipstick correctly?

The reason I ask is that I have a Volvo MD22L which has two positions for the dipstick: fully in or resting in (there is a piece of black plastic, which is effectively the bung that separates the two positions). The difference is about two centimetres, which means either I have enough oil (fully in) or too little (resting in).

So which is correct?

RB

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We fitted an MD22L in our last boat and the dipstick should be pushed all the way in. This is the same on our current Yanmar too but the gearbox dipstick is different, being read without being screwed right back in! However the Yanmar dipstick reads differently (by about 6mm) depending which way round (fore and aft) it is, even pushed fully home so you still cannot win.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DickB

Visit site
I have an MD22l and the first time I change the oil (and filter) and put in the recommended 5 litres the dipstick shows MORE than maximum (about 5mm). I thought that there may have been some residual oil in the sump but this time I checked that it had been sucked up through every available orifice!!!! and again put the recommended amount in and again the dipstick showed it overfilled!!! Which is correct, the manual or the dipstick?

I know you should not overfill a sump since it is supposed to put undue pressure on the main bearing oil seal but equally I really do not want to run on less oil than necessary....

Any views?

<hr width=100% size=1>Dick

supermalc

Visit site
Not a silly question if you refill with incorrect amount and wreck your engine is it.

With my experience with cars over the years (16 until 56) I have found fitting different dipsticks will vary the correct amount by up to half a pint (about quarter of a litre) at least, if not more.

It is better to have half a pint too little oil rather than half a pint too much much, as the excess can cause damage to oil seals, although it usually requires at least an extra litre before damage is done.

<hr width=100% size=1>Malcolm.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/malcsworld/>http://www.angelfire.com/malcsworld/</A>
Take a look at my boating pages.

supermalc

Visit site
Regarding manuals, or articles in magazines, they either go into explicit detail, but only tell you half; or they cover the whole subject, but miss out all the important bits you are trying to find out.

For instance it starts 'remove nut'............several hours, or days later, with bruised knuckles, an empty wallet from buying all the special tools to remove the bl***dy nut, you get it off.

They might as well say, remove engine and etc. etc. when you have to do a major engine rebuild, or fit a replacement.

<hr width=100% size=1>Malcolm.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/malcsworld/>http://www.angelfire.com/malcsworld/</A>
Take a look at my boating pages.

MainlySteam

Visit site
<<<put in the recommended 5 litres the dipstick shows MORE than maximum (about 5mm)>>>

Thanks for that comment Dick - I have never been able to fit in to a MD22L the 5 litres either after sucking as much out as I can on the pumpout riser tube.

Maybe if one drains the sump through the plug one would get more room for the new oil but I would have a hell of a mess to clean up (no room to put a container under) so have never tried that.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I dunno about marine diesels, but certainly for most engines there are 3 oil fill capacities; one for oil change without filter change (smallest) , next oil and filter change, and finally after a full engine rebuild. I always fill engines up 500ml at a time and check the level for the first time when I am at least 1 litre short of the quoted capacity

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"

MainlySteam

Visit site
Thanks for the comment Larry. I have never been able to get the oil change with filter specified amount of oil back in the engine after extracting the oil using the sump pump out dip tube (a standard fitting on the MD22L) and replacing the filter. There may, of course be some left in the bottom of the sump but there is not room to put a drain pan under to check by removing the drain plug without making a big mess!

Looks as if others find the same with this engine so I am comforted to some extent discovering that from this thread.

Regards

John

<hr width=100% size=1>