Re: Water Leak

rogrog

Visit site

Thanks for responses, just got back from a liquid lunch so if this does not make sense............................... We only get water coming in when the engines have been run, so I don't think it can be either the stern gland (drive was not engaged) or thru (excuse americanism) hull fitting. I feel convinced it is something to do with the raw water cooling, but how to find it?

And yes I agree Ramsgate Marina are excellent

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Hidden Leak

Two common 'hidden' places for water leaks on the engine are (i) round the pump seals/bearings, often situated at the front end of the engine (ii) from a damaged/leaky exhaust line, often at the ends or at the water trap. In the first case the water will be clean, in the second, oily, and you should be noticing fumes.

If you are in Ramsgate I can strongly recommend Marlec for engine problems.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: Hidden Leak

Expanding on Andrew's first point.

If the internal, outboard seal in the raw water pump has failed/worn, water will emerge from the small relief hole in the pump body. My experience is that it doesn't spurt out, just dribbles down the engine and is difficult to trace. The next stage is that the inboard seal will begin to leak, when water can enter the sump on some designs. Worth checking soon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

malcp

Visit site

If the engine has an anti-cyphon valve which does not vent overboard, this can leak. Most often happens at startup before its little diaphragm fully seals.

See if it need cleaning, or the diaphragm needs replacing. Can get limescale from the water in certain areas. I have found a little kettle de-scaler helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>