Re Johnson 6hp c.1980

G

I have aquired one of the above engines, can anyone please help with advice on the problem that I'm having? Although it starts and runs it will not run on low revs. The carb has been cleaned and the points set , if the throttle is moved to "slow" the engine loses power, it can be kept running by reving like a motorbike. A manual, if anyone has one, would be great, photocopy would do. I'm using unleaded petrol. Many Thanks

G

Is it the model with Electronic ignition? If so try Martin Yates Marine at Galgate Lancaster! Quote the engine and serial no and he will help he as all the workshop manuals on all engines! Regards S.W.R

G

Try.

1. Fresh fuel / correct oil and mixture ratio (apologies if you have tacked this but stale fuel is THE most common curprit).

2. A feature of all small OMC motors is an adjuster for the slow running jet on the engine cowling. This is often combined with the choke control (pull to choke, turn to adjust slow running). On some it is a separate control. If your decals are intact it usually has a 'volume' type of graphic.

The purpose of this is to allow adjustment of the jet to get smooth running whilst trolling slow running whilst fishing etc.). Yours could be out of range and running too rich or too lean. from your other symptoms try and decide which way you should be adjusting it. Clockwise to weaken, counter the enrich.

Get your motor running and warmed through then use the agjuster to find the smoothest running. It will slot on a knurled pin, and if this has been badly mal-adjusted you may have to remove it and replace it at a different angle. You will quickly find turning one way will improve things, turning the other will cause further deterioration.

Once you have found an optimum setting for idle speed, remove and replace the knob with it's pointer in the centre of the range.

If you need a low throttle setting for the engine say for toddling along in the dinghy or motor sailing, bear in mind you may find it runs a bit rough at fast idle unless you readjust this setting.

G

Re: Try.

Many thanks Andy just the response I was looking for. I've now had some success.