Re-bedding pushpit

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
That is just not true. I only use Sikaflex or Puraflex for every sealing job aboard as I do not have stowage for a wide range of sealants. Over the past 30 years I have removed or replaced dozens of fittings, including light window frames. Never damaged a fitting or gel coat.

This happened to me today removing a defunct solar panel...

IMG-20240106-WA0000.jpeg

I cut the old sealant as much as I could, but it still pulled up a chunk of gelcoat.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I reckon you've been using toothpaste for 30 years, not Sikaflex. Not surprising you keep on having to re-bed your fittings. :p
Mostly it has just been occasional.things like upgrading cleats, changing windlass type, etc. But the windows were a constant frustration. Sadler windows, along with others, are notorious for leaking between frame and glass. I worked out a good method to rebed them and did all eight twice. Each time they were ok at first but leaked after a few months. Eventually I gave up and had them done professionally in Athens. First thing they said was the glass was too small for the frames! New glass solved the problem, something like six years now. They used a cured silicone system.

Keith 66

Visit site
Nobody should be fool enough to hammer a chisel under ali frames or fittings to get them out or off. I used to use a variety of tools, thin sharpened putty knife, wallpaper stripping spatula ground sharp, that sort of thing, lots of little shallow taper wooden wedges, tap in & work along. Then you might well get them out without damage. But removing gelcoat is a real possibility. You cant blame it on poor layup all the time.
Worst job i had in this respect was removing the wings from a Morris 1000 truck i restored 30 years ago, Wings were bolted on bedded with Arbokol 1000 Polysulphide sealant. They had stuck so well to the epoxy pitch the body was painted with it took 3 days to remove them without damaging them. Next time i wont be using something quite so adhesive!