RCD for constructing a new boat

hardguy007

Visit site
Hi everyone. I’m wondering what is the minimum requirements for being able to mould, build and sell a small craft with an outboard?

Is it a long drawn out costly process? If it is, then that scuppers the idea.

I’d like to build a few small 16ft rowing boats and sell them on as a hobby basically.

I seem to remember that if there sold as a kit then there’s no regulations apply however I could be very wrong. The problem with this is that I probably couldn’t sell them onto fisheries for example. If I am correct here, and can sell to the private individual, what would constitute a kit? Could a kit be classed as a boat completed without the stainlessfittings?

Ideally, I’d like to be able to fit a UKCA plate on them but I’ve a feeling it wouldn’t be a simple process.

Any guidance welcome.

Tranona

Visit site
Contact the RYA or the BMF who will give you chapter and verse. You are right that the rules are complex in terms of what constitutes a kit so better to go to the expert sources rather than here.

penfold

Visit site
Nobody will give a monkeys if a rowing boat you've built for fun has a CE mark or is RCD rated; they'll decide on whether they like it or not.

DownWest

Visit site
If it is non RCD, then you cannot sell it under five years from first launch. But, since there is no compulsory reg in UK, who is to know?
The onus is on the builder if you sell kits.

Last edited: