RCC. First Cruise of 2023.

oldgit

Visit site
Our keen and newly elected committee member responsible for inshore cruises has just announced the MoBo cruising programme for 2023 .
Our first club trip will be on January 2nd down to Queenborough ATL and lunch in a local pub.
Next cruise will be a choice of Limehouse/ St Kats over Easter , all depending on how wealthy you are/ how posh your boat. :)

All this going on when all yachts are firmly ashore on the hard, skippers agonising about osmosis , perusing the interweb for the latest 2023 technical gear in worrying shades of "Pastel " and relaunching possibly as early as June ......if the weather picks up ?

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Our keen and newly elected committee member responsible for inshore cruises has just announced the MoBo cruising programme for 2023 .
Our first club trip will be on January 2nd down to Queenborough ATL and lunch in a local pub.
Next cruise will be a choice of Limehouse/ St Kats over Easter , all depending on how wealthy you are/ how posh your boat. :)

All this going on when all yachts are firmly ashore on the hard, skippers agonising about osmosis , perusing the interweb for the latest 2023 technical gear in worrying shades of "Pastel " and relaunching possibly as early as June ......if the weather picks up ?
can you be that jammy to have good weather two years on the trot? (not sure we will go, tied up with family stuff. A week or two later would have gone)

oldgit

Visit site
Already some grumbling from within the ranks about Easter .
Some would apparently much prefer to spend hours and hours banging against white horses for hours past the dimly glimpsed and dreary mud banks of Essex up to the Whittiker, then turn round and spend nearly as long plodding back nearly as far back along equally exciting R. Crouch to Burnham-on -Mud.
Being "Easter in Burnham" you can normally be assured of a freezing E or NE wind coming across the marshes directly from the Artic and bringing with it a good amount of sleet or freezing rain, which you can watch slide down the saloon window.
One can then spend an entire weekend watching the Chinaspacher not quite failing to keep the boat warm or braving the amusing 1 mile walk into the village to visit a couple of tat shops while freezing your bits off wandering up the deserted High St.

The main argument for Burnham..
We always go the Burnham at Easter. its traditional and the frost bite from last year has very nearly cleared up.

Parabordi

Visit site
Already some grumbling from within the ranks about Easter .
Some would apparently much prefer to spend hours and hours banging against white horses for hours past the dimly glimpsed and dreary mud banks of Essex up to the Whittiker, then turn round and spend nearly as long plodding back nearly as far back along equally exciting R. Crouch to Burnham-on -Mud.
Being "Easter in Burnham" you can normally be assured of a freezing E or NE wind coming across the marshes directly from the Artic and bringing with it a good amount of sleet or freezing rain, which you can watch slide down the saloon window.
One can then spend an entire weekend watching the Chinaspacher not quite failing to keep the boat warm or braving the amusing 1 mile walk into the village to visit a couple of tat shops while freezing your bits off wandering up the deserted High St.

The main argument for Burnham..
We always go the Burnham at Easter. its traditional and the frost bite from last year has very nearly cleared up.
yeah I am with you mate, I wouldn't even bother going there in the summer. WHen you get to Whittaker might as well go to Bradwell or Brightlingsea

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Rather strange to read about these East Coast matters / voyages in the Thames Forum , I think

Might ask in all honesty , should them posts be in East Coast forum ?

Just asking , cause I understand that these Forums were hoisted from somewhere else and have previous Form ?

oldgit

Visit site
Rather strange to read about these East Coast matters / voyages in the Thames Forum , I think

Just asking , cause I understand that these Forums were hoisted from somewhere else and have previous Form ?

A subject which has been broached several times before regards the Thames forum.
............................but as all these adventures tend to start out on the Mudway :)

PeterBoater

Visit site

A place to discuss boating issues specific to the Thames and other inland waterways

Capt Popeye

Visit site
A place to discuss boating issues specific to the Thames and other inland waterways

Yes my understanding is that the rivers Medway , Crouch , Havengore , and Essex rivers generally , The North Sea are not in the Thames , but are or do have connections ; Only the Medway I understand and Swale are connected to the Thames ,

Maybe its debateable where the Thames starts and East Coast disapears or becoms one ?

oldgit

Visit site
To anyone coming from a dump like the Medway, I would have thought the Crouch would seem like heaven
Have no problem going to Burnham in the summer when the weather is nice and the railway up the road is rather neat.
However when you have been going there ever since blimming Easter was invented and unable to remember when the eberspacher was not at full blast on any of the visits, it's attractions begin to pall.
When yours truly took charge of the cruising programme,made sure our first proper cruise was to a London marina.
No matter how foul the weather once across the Swatch, things could only improve and no shortage of stuff to do while there.
Pretty certain there are no cafes/restaurants/ pubs in Burnham we have not taken shelter in our of the rain and on one occasion snow.
The boat clubs up there have always been unfailingly helpful and welcoming.?

Other threads that may be of interest