Raymarine St 2000 Auto pilot mounting.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Has anyone had any problems with their Raymarine Auto Pilot Cantilever mounting arrangement?
Mine is fitted to the inside of the cockpit coaming, for use with the tiller.
I seem to constantly have the pilot extension rod unscrewing from the socket, and then the actual auto pilot becomes a bit loose and rotates.
I did wonder about introducing a rubber washer between the rod and the socket in the hope to introduce some friction to the joint once its tightened up, but not sure if it would improve things or not.
Any other suggestions other than fixing the mounting arm permanently in the socket with epoxy or something similar?

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Mine does this too, mostly because I epoxied the socket head onto the threaded rod at the wrong angle, and it isn’t fully tightened up if the pin hole is on top to correctly align the autohelm.
A thin rubber washer might help, but I currently use a small shim of plastic in the threads as friction to stop it loosening, cut from a plastic milk carton.
One day I’ll reset the angle of the socket head on the bar, so I can just screw it in tight.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Mine does this too, mostly because I epoxied the socket head onto the threaded rod at the wrong angle, and it isn’t fully tightened up if the pin hole is on top to correctly align the autohelm.
A thin rubber washer might help, but I currently use a small shim of plastic in the threads as friction to stop it loosening, cut from a plastic milk carton.
One day I’ll reset the angle of the socket head on the bar, so I can just screw it in tight.
Mine screws in tight but then loosens? Wonder if there was ever some sort of washer supplied when new. I inherited the auto pilot when I purchased the boat originally.
Either that or is the screw thread bottoming out against the coaming before the thread is tight? It has been fitted for several years. Might try shaving off the inside thread a bit in the length, see if that helps a bit first.
Just so anoying when it comes loose, and the boat goe's off course.

Refueler

Visit site
locking star washer ?

I'm actually a little lost with description .... are you saying the 'extension' rod you have unscrews from the end button and the original pilot rod ?

OK ... did a bit of searching ... now I see what you mean !! Never liked that mount - preferred the older V type with pin socket mounted at the apex of the V.

I would suggest Threadlock (Blue if you want to remove again later .. Red to be permanent). Or star washer can be tried ..

Failing those - then its centre punch and hammer ! Remove bracket ... fit rod and then centre punch in the thread joint end to lock the two together. Refit to cockpit

Last edited: