Raymarine S3, Nasa Marine and Quark AIS

tsizkeik

Visit site
Hello!

I am about to upgrade me system and was hoping one of you guys has enough experience with Seatalk and NMEA 0183 to confirm that what I am about to do will work.

I got the Nasa Wind, which will output NMEA 0183 wind info to the Raymarine S3. Will the S3 convert this to seatalk so as to feed a wind ST290 repeater?
My main plotter will be the C80 and I was planning on feeding it via NMEA the AIS/GPS from the Quark and via Seatalk everything else.
That should work, right?

Thank you

Kind regards

Dimitri

pvb

Visit site
I think that if you want a definitive answer, you'll have to ask Raymarine. You might find that the C80 would be better at converting NMEA0183 to SeaTalk, and you could presumably feed the Nasa Wind data into the Quark multiplexer, so it gets sent to the C80. Nasa uses the MWV wind sentence, which doesn't always get welcomed by Raymarine kit, I believe.

tsizkeik

Visit site
I have already asked them, waiting for their response. The Quark only outputs NMEA, at least the one I am looking at, and if I use the input of the C80 then I have no way of feeding it AIS, as it needs to be synchronized at the highest baud rate for it to work.
The S3 according to its manual can use the MWV sentence via NMEA so I am not quite sure what you mean, unless there is a glitch there, that I am not aware of. Thank you for your reply, any comment is welcome.

Kind regards
Dimitri

pvb

Visit site
I have already asked them, waiting for their response. The Quark only outputs NMEA, at least the one I am looking at, and if I use the input of the C80 then I have no way of feeding it AIS, as it needs to be synchronized at the highest baud rate for it to work.
The S3 according to its manual can use the MWV sentence via NMEA so I am not quite sure what you mean, unless there is a glitch there, that I am not aware of. Thank you for your reply, any comment is welcome.

Which Quark are you looking at? They have receivers which can accept NMEA input and multiplex it out (together with AIS and GPS data) to the C80.

tsizkeik

Visit site
I was looking at the 027. The 026 does have NMEA input which can carry the Nasa MWV to the C80, but will the C80 then forward it via Seatalk to the ST290?
Any knows if the C80 translates incoming NMEA to outgoing Seatalk?

pvb

Visit site
I was looking at the 027. The 026 does have NMEA input which can carry the Nasa MWV to the C80, but will the C80 then forward it via Seatalk to the ST290?
Any knows if the C80 translates incoming NMEA to outgoing Seatalk?

The C80 bridges some NMEA data on to SeaTalk, but you'd have to ask Raymarine whether it would bridge MWV successfully.

tsizkeik

Visit site
I did ask them, they replied exactly what the manual says 'SeaTalk Output Cursor data, guard zone and navigational data bridged from
NMEA' but could not confirm if MWV is 'navigational data' when bridged via NMEA.

pvb

Visit site
I did ask them, they replied exactly what the manual says 'SeaTalk Output Cursor data, guard zone and navigational data bridged from
NMEA' but could not confirm if MWV is 'navigational data' when bridged via NMEA.

That's fairly poor customer service. How about asking a Raymarine dealer? They might be more knowledgeable.

tsizkeik

Visit site
I live in Greece, as soon as they realise that I am a DIY kind of person, they will just shrug their shoulders and say 'the C80 is old, you should upgrade'.

cpedw

Visit site
The C Series User Reference Manual 81221-5-EN has a section on "System Integration Setup" which shows

"NMEA Output Setup - Allows you to switch off individual NMEA out sentences
APB, BWC, BWR, DBT, DPT, GGA, GLL, MTW, RMA, RMB, RMC, RSD, RTE, TTM, VHW, VLW, VTG, WPL, ZDA"

I'm presuming these are all the sentences that can be output but it's possible that some cannot be switched off I suppose.

Derek

pvb

Visit site
The C Series User Reference Manual 81221-5-EN has a section on "System Integration Setup" which shows

"NMEA Output Setup - Allows you to switch off individual NMEA out sentences
APB, BWC, BWR, DBT, DPT, GGA, GLL, MTW, RMA, RMB, RMC, RSD, RTE, TTM, VHW, VLW, VTG, WPL, ZDA"

I'm presuming these are all the sentences that can be output but it's possible that some cannot be switched off I suppose.

The OP wasn't interested in NMEA outputs, he wanted to know whether the data would be output on SeaTalk.