Raymarine Quantum Radar

G12

Visit site
Has anyone here bought and used the new Raymarine Quantum radar? I'm interested in how it performs with a view to buying one. There don't seem to be any reviews on the web yet from the usual places apart from a bit of a writeup in YW a couple of months ago.

This offering from Furuno also looks interesting but again, a black hole of real world reviews....
http://www.furuno.com/special/en/radar/drs4d-nxt/

I can't see the point in investing in one of the more common radars, they're all old technology now...

EugeneR

Visit site
Perhaps a post in the practical boat owner and/or mobo sections would achieve a better response?

I am in the same position i.e. waiting for real-life reviews and comparisons before deciding which new direction to go in.

And yes, after waiting so long for Raymarine to bring out a solid state option, it is a bit frustrating to see Furuno's new 4D-NXT offering bringing so many new features e.g. doppler target analysis, automatic target tracking and beam width reduction.

cueball

Visit site
I have just installed quantum on a scan strut pole. I have to say that I'm impressed, very near range is incredible, and it also picks up distant Buoys with astounding accuracy something my old unit struggled with. The unit itself is very light compared to the older Radar's and it draws a lot less power (good under sail) . The installation is easy as its just a power cable, the unit connects to the MFD through wi-fi. Supposedly chirp technology wont fry your brain... to early to tell on this subject as mines already fried;) . if your around the East coast, you are welcome to drop by and check for yourself.

drakes drum

Visit site
This link might help you http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/New-Radar-Technology

I have a B&G 3G radar which was effectively the first of this new generation, and like with all electronics its now a bit behind the latest developments. Compared to its magnetron predecessor I wouldnt say that it was noticeably more sensitive but then I am doing the comparison from memory and I cannot say there was much wrong with the old set anyway. Where there is a big benefit is in useability - the low power consumption meaning the set can be on all of a night passage under sail or can be on standby as long as I want. And it switches on much faster.

And I particularly like the MARPA bit. Like all modern gadgets from phones to PCs, it has loads of facilities that you never use and sometimes dont even know how to use.