Raymarine Quantum radar, e7 Plotter, iPad & Rayview WiFi

rudolph_hart

Visit site
I have a Raymarine e7 Hybrid touch plotter, mounted at the wheel with Navionics. I have just bought a Raymarine Quantum radar (which will replace a Furuno 1715).

I have both power & data cables for the scanner, but if both cables can't easily be run inside the mast, I would use the WiFi for data to the e7 Plotter.

I also plan to borrow the wife's iPad :friendly_wink: to use at the chart table, loaded with Navionics & Rayview WiFi app.

Questions:

1. Will Radar overlay be available on iPad as well as e7?
2. If I have to use WiFi for scanner data (because data cable can't be used), will this impact the Rayview WiFi networking e7 to iPad?

Thanks in advance.

johnalison

Visit site
The iPad will show exactly what you see on the e7. If you use Raycontrol, you will also be able to operate all the e7 functions. I can't answer your second question I'm afraid. One tip for using the iPad. With mine, I found that after connecting automatically, which works fine, if I put the pad to sleep then the connection is lost and won't re-connect. It is necessary to close the app, which I do with the 4-finger swipe form the home page. After re-opening the app, connection is normal.

rudolph_hart

Visit site
The iPad will show exactly what you see on the e7. If you use Raycontrol, you will also be able to operate all the e7 functions. I can't answer your second question I'm afraid. One tip for using the iPad. With mine, I found that after connecting automatically, which works fine, if I put the pad to sleep then the connection is lost and won't re-connect. It is necessary to close the app, which I do with the 4-finger swipe form the home page. After re-opening the app, connection is normal.

Thanks John, that is most helpful.

Alastair

dunedin

Visit site
We have a similar setup. The Quantum Radar works well on WiFi only (although I did check the Wi-fi signal strength, per the manual, before fitting this way.
We can also see the radar data on the iPad using the RayControl App across WiFi. (This is a copy of the e7 screen image, not an overlay on the Navionics App)
PS, not related to the radar, but I was advised by Navionics not to bother with RayView but just stick to RayControl

johnalison

Visit site
PS, not related to the radar, but I was advised by Navionics not to bother with RayView but just stick to RayControl
That is true, but RayControl hadn't been introduced when we bought ours. When it came in, RayControl cost a tidy sum, so you can thank us pioneers for testing it for you.

rudolph_hart

Visit site
We have a similar setup. The Quantum Radar works well on WiFi only (although I did check the Wi-fi signal strength, per the manual, before fitting this way.
We can also see the radar data on the iPad using the RayControl App across WiFi. (This is a copy of the e7 screen image, not an overlay on the Navionics App)

Thanks - that's just the answer I was hoping for. I now know that I have options. Also good news about RayControl - even more options.