Raymarine-Furuno Nmea not talking

• Thread starter fiveflipflops
  • Start date

earlybird

Visit site
When I bought my last boat it had a Furuno GPS31 adjacent to a Raymarine ST60 Multi display. One of the features of the ST60 Multi was that it had an NMEA interface so you didn't need to buy one of their £125 interface boxes, a fact that Raymarine didn't seem keen to publicise. Clearly the Furuno had been interfaced with the ST60 Multi so I reconnected the wires. The GPS data could be then displayed on the ST60 however the two systems were not completely compatible - the ST60 would regularly sound an alarm saying that position data had been lost. Having spent ages fiddling with all the settings on both pieces of kit to stop the spurious alarms I admitted defeat and disconnected them!

We then bought a Lowrance plotter with its own GPS and I connected this with the ST60 Multi and it worked perfectly. The lesson from this is that, with the previous generation of kit, Furuno did not seem to work well with Raymarine even when the basic electrical connection worked - not something you probably wanted to hear having just invested in the Furuno!

I bought an ST60 Graphic when they were first marketed, (in 2005 IIRC ). They're rather similar in function to the Multi, in fact I've an idea that it was replacement product.
The Graphic was interfaced with my fixed GPS, first a Philips AP8 then a Furuno GP32. There was a similar problem with both sets, the Graphic losing GPS data together with other faults.
Raymarine acknowledged the faults and issued 2 software updates which they installed FOC, taking about 3 years for this, but the final result is that the set-up now works.
I wonder if your problems with the Multi were due to Raymarine software rather than the Furuno output.

Spyro

Visit site
When I bought my last boat it had a Furuno GPS31 adjacent to a Raymarine ST60 Multi display. One of the features of the ST60 Multi was that it had an NMEA interface so you didn't need to buy one of their £125 interface boxes, a fact that Raymarine didn't seem keen to publicise. Clearly the Furuno had been interfaced with the ST60 Multi so I reconnected the wires. The GPS data could be then displayed on the ST60 however the two systems were not completely compatible - the ST60 would regularly sound an alarm saying that position data had been lost. Having spent ages fiddling with all the settings on both pieces of kit to stop the spurious alarms I admitted defeat and disconnected them!

We then bought a Lowrance plotter with its own GPS and I connected this with the ST60 Multi and it worked perfectly. The lesson from this is that, with the previous generation of kit, Furuno did not seem to work well with Raymarine even when the basic electrical connection worked - not something you probably wanted to hear having just invested in the Furuno!

That is exactly the same problem I had with my gps31, dsc radio which is also furuno would intermittently alarm saying it had lost position.

Visit site
My E80 outputs it's nmea0183 at a 38400 baud rate due to having AIS fitted, but I have connected the Simrad Autopilot computer to the Ray240 radio multiplexer which should output a 4800 baud rate. I guess I should be able to see what sentences it is reading somewhere.

Sorry to drift this thread a bit from the OP.

Yes. Stick the lappy on the output and with the appropriate hyperterminal software ( or an alternative from the www ) you can see what it's outputting. The AP manual will tell you what sentence is needed.

Leonidas

www.leonpapazoglou.com
Hi

Can not get my new Gps to talk to the rest my instruments. I was assured it would by the company who sold it to me. They can of course come and take a look at 100usd per hour!

Have read through early threads but still have no joy.

I am unable to link a new GPS furuno GP 32 into any of my instruments. Raymarine auto pilot, st6001+ data head, speed, wind, depth, multi, Ray 54 VHF and Raytheon RX10 Rader. The GPS replaces a Philips Navigator MK9.

Tried straight swoop no joy. Checked out put setting from Furuno, set to MNEA-REM 1 which the manual suggests. Set NMEA seting VER 1.5. No joy. Then tried different setting from GPS, still no joy. Then linked GPS direct to Radar by passing the Raymarine stuff, still no joy.

I have taken the Yellow and white leads (as instructed from the manual) from the new GPS and connected them exactly in the same place as the old GPS. Have tried connecting the new leads direct into the back of the multi VIA the NMEA in put. No joy.

Am I missing a trick. I recall reading here on the forum about non raymarine unit not talking NMEA with other brands, is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

David
Annapolis
s/y fiveflipflops

Hi David,
Let me start by saying that electronics are not my strongest point. I did however had the same problem as that youd described after I changed my old trusted Furuno GP5 (which came from an old ship) for a new GP32. I had the new gps connected to a Furuno NX300 Navtex, Raymarine ST6000 autopilot, ST60 series wind,speed,depth and an old Furuno FM8500 VHF DSC. All connected ok on the MNEA0183 except for the VHF which refused to display the position. I tried various combinations, changed the versions of the MNEA , switched wiring, to no effect. FURUNO Uk told me that it was everybody else's fault. same from Raymarine. I spoke to FURUNO's agents in Greece, where the boat is, and they told me that the output of the GP32 is not sufficient to support all these instruments and they suggested I get a booster which they could provide. I am now working on this idea. It seems reasonable to me judging from an expert's advice ( Tony Johns) that appreared in the PBO No 451 (July 2004) given to another reader whohad similar problems . The expert recommended that the reader inserts a "MNEA 0183 Buffer" which, once connected, will effectively give up to 7 individual sources of MNEA 0183 data. I understand that Simrad manufactures such a device which needs to be connected to the 12 or 24 v supply and has one input (which is fed from the GPS) and seven outputs. I hope this helps.

earlybird

Visit site
Hi David,

I spoke to FURUNO's agents in Greece, where the boat is, and they told me that the output of the GP32 is not sufficient to support all these instruments and they suggested I get a booster which they could provide.

They would say that wouldn't they?
I know that my GP32 will speak to four listeners quite happily.
The OP says that he tried feeding the Raymarine Multi directly from the GPS, so overload shouldn't be the problem.