Raymarine-Furuno Nmea not talking

• Thread starter fiveflipflops
  • Start date
F

fiveflipflops

Hi

Can not get my new Gps to talk to the rest my instruments. I was assured it would by the company who sold it to me. They can of course come and take a look at 100usd per hour!

Have read through early threads but still have no joy.

I am unable to link a new GPS furuno GP 32 into any of my instruments. Raymarine auto pilot, st6001+ data head, speed, wind, depth, multi, Ray 54 VHF and Raytheon RX10 Rader. The GPS replaces a Philips Navigator MK9.

Tried straight swoop no joy. Checked out put setting from Furuno, set to MNEA-REM 1 which the manual suggests. Set NMEA seting VER 1.5. No joy. Then tried different setting from GPS, still no joy. Then linked GPS direct to Radar by passing the Raymarine stuff, still no joy.

I have taken the Yellow and white leads (as instructed from the manual) from the new GPS and connected them exactly in the same place as the old GPS. Have tried connecting the new leads direct into the back of the multi VIA the NMEA in put. No joy.

Am I missing a trick. I recall reading here on the forum about non raymarine unit not talking NMEA with other brands, is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

David
Annapolis
s/y fiveflipflops

earlybird

Visit site
You seem to be misreading the manual. Data 1 output pair, which you require for your connection is white/blue. ( H & C or +ve & -ve resp.)
Data 2 input/output is green/yellow & blue ground to connect to say a PC.

Last edited:

noelex

Visit site
Hi

Can not get my new Gps to talk to the rest my instruments. I was assured it would by the company who sold it to me. They can of course come and take a look at 100usd per hour!

Have read through early threads but still have no joy.

I am unable to link a new GPS furuno GP 32 into any of my instruments. Raymarine auto pilot, st6001+ data head, speed, wind, depth, multi, Ray 54 VHF and Raytheon RX10 Rader. The GPS replaces a Philips Navigator MK9.

Tried straight swoop no joy. Checked out put setting from Furuno, set to MNEA-REM 1 which the manual suggests. Set NMEA seting VER 1.5. No joy. Then tried different setting from GPS, still no joy. Then linked GPS direct to Radar by passing the Raymarine stuff, still no joy.

I have taken the Yellow and white leads (as instructed from the manual) from the new GPS and connected them exactly in the same place as the old GPS. Have tried connecting the new leads direct into the back of the multi VIA the NMEA in put. No joy.

Am I missing a trick. I recall reading here on the forum about non raymarine unit not talking NMEA with other brands, is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

David
Annapolis
s/y fiveflipflops

Firstly don’t panic David the Furuno GP 32 can be connected to Raymarine gear. Unfortunately the manufacturers don’t make it easy (I suspect sometimes deliberately)
I think from memory
white is NMEA out +
blue is NMEA out -

Give this a try if doesn’t work I will dig up the very confusing manual and see if I can sort it out

Spyro

Visit site
I would agree with Earlybird. I have a Furuno GPS31 My NMEA output to my laptop and dsc vhf was Faulty (white/blue) but when I enquired with Furuno I was told it only had 1 output. After digesting the wiring diagrams I was sure there were 2 outputs. So i connected the other pair (green/yellow) up to the dsc and hey presto all now working ok. You can check the output with a volt meter it should pulse around 5volts across the pair around once a second.

F

fiveflipflops

Oops! still not working

Hi

Should have read White and Blue. Taken another look and the ends of the White and Blue they have be used, not the yellow, sorry. Head not working when doing post after spending 5 hours trying to get to all to work. Spent 1 hour today still no joy.

Help !

David

sailorman

Visit site
Hi

Should have read White and Blue. Taken another look and the ends of the White and Blue they have be used, not the yellow, sorry. Head not working when doing post after spending 5 hours trying to get to all to work. Spent 1 hour today still no joy.

Help !

David

mine all connect through a simple block connector & all items talk to each other

earlybird

Visit site
I would have expected white/blue to work. This is how mine's connected, I'm as sure as I can be without being on the boat.
The only other suggestion I can make, without much conviction, is to try yellow/blue which is the data 2 output.
Have you checked for NMEA output with a dvm, as suggested by Spyro?
If you can connect to a PC via a serial port, the output sentences can be checked, but that's getting more complicated.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Firstly don’t panic David the Furuno GP 32 can be connected to Raymarine gear. Unfortunately the manufacturers don’t make it easy (I suspect sometimes deliberately)

Raymarine does it on purpose - it's been their sales strategy for a number of years.
Like the rest of the world was waiting for seatalk when everyone was using NMEA :(

Visit site
Raymarine does it on purpose - it's been their sales strategy for a number of years.
Like the rest of the world was waiting for seatalk when everyone was using NMEA :(

Thats a pointless knocking comment. Seatalk is a much faster and more effective system than NMEA 0183.

Visit site
Hi

I hope the wiring comments solve your problem. The old NMEA 0183 isn't a standard standard, if you see what I mean. Various manufacturers alter sentences for their equipment and Furuno in particular do this. The sentences also changed through the life of 0183. So you cannot be sure that one piece of kit using 0183 will always talk to another piece of kit though mostly they do so.

For example, I total;ly failed to get a Garmin GPS to talk to an Icom DSC radio and both makers blamed the other. I also failed to get a Raymarine plotter to talk to a Simrad pilot because the Simrad was on a much earlier version of 0183 with different wind sentences.

Bejasus

Visit site
I also failed to get a Raymarine plotter to talk to a Simrad pilot because the Simrad was on a much earlier version of 0183 with different wind sentences.

I am having a similar problem with my E80/SeatalkNG/Wind etc, not talking to my AP16. I think in the end I am going to have to either forget the wind info etc and just run the pilot on fixed headings or bite the bullet, buy a raypilot and try to sell the AP16 even though it is a good but obsolete unit now.

earlybird

Visit site
Various manufacturers alter sentences for their equipment and Furuno in particular do this. The sentences also changed through the life of 0183. So you cannot be sure that one piece of kit using 0183 will always talk to another piece of kit though mostly they do so.

This may occur, but I don't think it's the reason here. As it happens, my GP32 replaced an old Philips AP8, as with the OP.
Both talked happily with Raymarine NMEA listeners, in my case an ST60 Graphic and a Tillerpilot as well as an Icom VHF and Yeoman Plotter.
IMHO the OP most likely has a wiring error, or, rather less likely, a duff GPS.
I suspect conflicts within the standard are the exception.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Thats a pointless knocking comment. Seatalk is a much faster and more effective system than NMEA 0183.

1. If Seatalk was really that great, more manufacturers would be using it.
2. O/b Guapa a Furuno radar/plotter, an Icom DSC VHF, a TackTick wind instrument, a NASA echosounder, a NASA GPS repeater and a Cetrek autopilot all talk to each other without any problems. The only instrument not willing to play nice is the Raymarine log.
3. I've been told by Raymarine that I could get it to talk to the other instruments by getting a NMEA /SeaTalk/RS232 Interface Box - available from Raymarine at £££.

To me, this seems like they're making it -on purpose - difficult to operate their kit alongside equipment of other manufacturers. :(

Visit site
I am having a similar problem with my E80/SeatalkNG/Wind etc, not talking to my AP16. I think in the end I am going to have to either forget the wind info etc and just run the pilot on fixed headings or bite the bullet, buy a raypilot and try to sell the AP16 even though it is a good but obsolete unit now.

Might be able to help here. The AP ( it's the 3000 in my case) requires an NMEA sentence that doesnt come out of the NMEA port on my C80 as standard. The Raymarine interface box will generate this sentence but then the problem is buffer overflow because the AP cant cope with 50 sentences and Raymarine interface is either on or off. The answer I believe ( I havent tried it) is a box from someone like Brookhouse which will not only convert Seatalk to give the sentence you want but will also allow you to pick and chose which sentences are output. I havent bothered because a number of people told me that trying to steer by the wind wasnt noteably successful.

Visit site
1. If Seatalk was really that great, more manufacturers would be using it.

It's patented. Why should Raymarine just give it FOC to competitors? And incidentally, Seatalk isnt the only non 0183 system - I think it's Simrad who have their own system too.

2. O/b Guapa a Furuno radar/plotter, an Icom DSC VHF, a TackTick wind instrument, a NASA echosounder, a NASA GPS repeater and a Cetrek autopilot all talk to each other without any problems. The only instrument not willing to play nice is the Raymarine log.

You sound to have the same mish mash that I have. Of course they are trying to encourage you to buy just Raymarine - sensible business policy. Garmin do the same.

3. I've been told by Raymarine that I could get it to talk to the other instruments by getting a NMEA /SeaTalk/RS232 Interface Box - available from Raymarine at £££.

To me, this seems like they're making it -on purpose - difficult to operate their kit alongside equipment of other manufacturers. :(

It's just over £100 - I tried one. But are you saying that a standalone log from all the other makers will give out NMEA? If so, it's new on me.

noelex

Visit site
A couple of more things to try
Alter the NMEA from version 1.5 to 2.0 or 2.1 (give both of these a try)
Alter the NMEA sentences from NMEA-REM 1 to NMEA-REM 2 or NMEA-AP
Try all the permutation of the above options.
If you are having trouble I can guide you through changing the options, but the instructions are in the handbook.

One final thought. How many NMEA devices are you connecting to the Furuno?
Too many and it will not work. Try to get it talking to each device one at a time and see if that works..

Bejasus

Visit site
Might be able to help here. The AP ( it's the 3000 in my case) requires an NMEA sentence that doesnt come out of the NMEA port on my C80 as standard. The Raymarine interface box will generate this sentence but then the problem is buffer overflow because the AP cant cope with 50 sentences and Raymarine interface is either on or off. The answer I believe ( I havent tried it) is a box from someone like Brookhouse which will not only convert Seatalk to give the sentence you want but will also allow you to pick and chose which sentences are output. I havent bothered because a number of people told me that trying to steer by the wind wasnt noteably successful.

My E80 outputs it's nmea0183 at a 38400 baud rate due to having AIS fitted, but I have connected the Simrad Autopilot computer to the Ray240 radio multiplexer which should output a 4800 baud rate. I guess I should be able to see what sentences it is reading somewhere.

Sorry to drift this thread a bit from the OP.

nigelhudson

calculuscontracts.co.uk
Raymarine to Furuno

When I bought my last boat it had a Furuno GPS31 adjacent to a Raymarine ST60 Multi display. One of the features of the ST60 Multi was that it had an NMEA interface so you didn't need to buy one of their £125 interface boxes, a fact that Raymarine didn't seem keen to publicise. Clearly the Furuno had been interfaced with the ST60 Multi so I reconnected the wires. The GPS data could be then displayed on the ST60 however the two systems were not completely compatible - the ST60 would regularly sound an alarm saying that position data had been lost. Having spent ages fiddling with all the settings on both pieces of kit to stop the spurious alarms I admitted defeat and disconnected them!

We then bought a Lowrance plotter with its own GPS and I connected this with the ST60 Multi and it worked perfectly. The lesson from this is that, with the previous generation of kit, Furuno did not seem to work well with Raymarine even when the basic electrical connection worked - not something you probably wanted to hear having just invested in the Furuno!