Raymarine Fluxgate (M81190)

cliveshelton

Visit site
Our compass has been misbehaving for some time. I've checked the wiring according to the instructions here; http://www.raymarine.co.uk/knowledgebase/index.cfm?view=3798

I get the expected results, except for a resistance of 4.3ohm between red and green wires. That seems to indicate a short circuit somewhere. Its is not in the wire itself or the internal ribbon cable connector, it is deeper in the unit.

I am happy to purchase a new compass but it has been discontinued by Raymarine I think. eBay ones are available second hand but I would rather buy new.

Can anyone assist with a possible stockist that might have one? The only ones I find on line are in the USA which is not ideal (delivery times and warranty etc.)
Thanks.

earlybird

Visit site

cliveshelton

Visit site
But Raymarine quote 4 ohms +/- 2 between red & green, your unit seems OK in that respect. Have I missed something?

Oops. My "bad". In that case, the unit is apparently OK.
I wonder why we are not getting the correct heading on the MFD (C90)? The boat icon crabs along irrespective of the HDG. At the binnacle, the autopilot HDG is apparently OK (if in need of calibration).

pvb

Visit site
Oops. My "bad". In that case, the unit is apparently OK.
I wonder why we are not getting the correct heading on the MFD (C90)? The boat icon crabs along irrespective of the HDG. At the binnacle, the autopilot HDG is apparently OK (if in need of calibration).

Have you run the linearisation and alignment procedure?

cliveshelton

Visit site
Have you run the linearisation and alignment procedure?

No we have not done that. I guess the system may have lost its settings somehow and needs a full re-commission (calibration run and heading stuff). Its been wrong or a season or so and we have put up with it. It may have occurred when I was adding a multiplexer for AIS. Can't quite remember.

What a pain.

I've removed the compass for testing at home and had it apart to check it etc. Now I'm going to have to re-install it, throw off the lines and fiddle about underway for a few hours to see if I can re-establish the correct info.
Thanks for your assistance.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Common enough to have the COG and heading (derived from the fluxgate) disagreeing, which gives rise to the boat icon crabbing its way across the splitter screen. I seem to recall that there’s a method of setting a deviation for the heading without going through the rigmarole of motoring in circles whilst the autopilot thinks.

pvb

Visit site
Common enough to have the COG and heading (derived from the fluxgate) disagreeing, which gives rise to the boat icon crabbing its way across the splitter screen. I seem to recall that there’s a method of setting a deviation for the heading without going through the rigmarole of motoring in circles whilst the autopilot thinks.

As I recall, the plotter ignores COG from the GPS if there's heading data on the system. The orientation of the boat icon is set during the linearisation and alignment procedure.

pawl

Visit site
hi, just a thought, have you checked that there are no metal objects anywhere near the compass. I had a problem when a fire extinguisher was put in a cupboard the other side of a main bulkhead to the compass. It was moving about due to boat motion, the compass was behaving in a very erratic manner as the object moved about.

cliveshelton

Visit site
hi, just a thought, have you checked that there are no metal objects anywhere near the compass. I had a problem when a fire extinguisher was put in a cupboard the other side of a main bulkhead to the compass. It was moving about due to boat motion, the compass was behaving in a very erratic manner as the object moved about.

Thanks. Yes. That is a cardinal rule on board Selkie. We had trouble years ago with tinned food. Mobile phones are also an issue as well as those BT speakers which some bring on board.