Raymarine Elements

oldgit

Visit site
blimey thats cheap ?

Edit....thats plus VAT from CR. Available from my just round the corner chandlery @ £430 inc VAT.

Last edited:

harvey38

Visit site
The folk at Coastal Rides are brilliant, we went to pick some bits up from them, I was like a kid in a sweet shop, they have recently moved to a modern facility by the port in Dover. I can't wait to visit it. Their prices make me leave with things I never knew I wanted:unsure:

Billy Blue

Visit site
Any thoughts .
As budget chartplotter on flybridge as opposed to a s/hand E series MFD.
You need to be aware it can't be linked in to the same backbone as the E series backbone and therefore you won't have any of the information such as depth, radar, AIS, autopilot, heading i.e. it will be just be the chart. This isn't obvious until you read the installation manual in which there are dire warnings about this.
You will also need to buy a nav CF card as you won't be able to see the one in the E series.
I have an Element 12S but it's alongside my C series and is just so I can have the chart as a backup and at a larger scale.
The Element is a lot cheaper for a reason, they have far less functions than the C/E/Axiom mfd's.
As a standalone plotter on the flybridge, the minimum you would want I would think is depth and therefore you would need to wire in a separate transponder.
Personally, in your case, I would go for another E series as it can then be networked with the one down below.

oldgit

Visit site
" have an Element 12S but it's alongside my C series and is just so I can have the chart as a backup and at a larger scale. "

That would have been the main advantage , a completely seperate stand alone unit available if the main system was lost, assuming the chart card in the E series works in the Elements. ?
Do have an Ipad however would prefer more something firmly attached on the flybridge.

Billy Blue

Visit site
" have an Element 12S but it's alongside my C series and is just so I can have the chart as a backup and at a larger scale. "

That would have been the main advantage , a completely seperate stand alone unit available if the main system was lost, assuming the chart card in the E series works in the Elements. ?
Do have an Ipad however would prefer more something firmly attached on the flybridge.
The E series uses a CF card, the Element uses a SD card unfortunately. The Element I bought came with a free lighthouse card as part of the deal.

Greg2

Visit site
We have travelled this route as our Hardy didn’t have anything in the flybridge and a C120 classic in the wheelhouse when we bought it. We considered an Element as a stand-alone plotter on the fly but decided that it was better to have the flybridge and wheelhouse units networked and because the C series were getting on a bit we installed new Axioms, which we have not regretted.

An additional E series would obviously be a more cost effective solution and assuming that going for a new system isn’t on the agenda then that would be the route I would take. As far as back-up goes iPhone / iPad / paper charts are more than adequate IMHO.

Last edited:

KREW2

Visit site
I have just received my C80 back from the service centre in Poole, it is working fine, but is once again not picking up any satellites The service centre have assured me it is not the cause of my seatalk fail message I receive on the auto helm display. I have replaced the battery in the PL 125 gps antenna, but it still wont work, and the GPS indicator light does not come on. Hence no fix on the C80 and not all the radar functions work, and I get a seatalk fail message on the st4000+ when the plotter is on. I have been informed by others on here that this could be a seatalk wiring problem, which the techy guy at the service centre agrees with.
I am told the Element 9 Bundle of plotter and scanner would be a good replacement for the C80 and pathfinder scanner, as it can be linked into seatalk via a special cable. Due to what may be a seatalk wiring problem, I have considered keeping the plotter and radar as a stand alone unit, and not link it to seatalk. I realise that the plotter will not talk to the auto helm, but I don't find that a problem. I will also be incorporating an AIS transponder which I am told will give me an NMEA 0813 feed for the DSC radio, and eliminate the need to buy a heading sensor for the radar.

oldgit

Visit site
I have just received my C80 back from the service centre in Poole, it is working fine, but is once again not picking up any satellites The service centre have assured me it is not the cause of my seatalk fail message I receive on the auto helm display. I have replaced the battery in the PL 125 gps antenna, but it still wont work, and the GPS indicator light does not come on. Hence no fix on the C80 and not all the radar functions work, and I get a seatalk fail message on the st4000+ when the plotter is on. I have been informed by others on here that this could be a seatalk wiring problem, which the techy guy at the service centre agrees with.
I am told the Element 9 Bundle of plotter and scanner would be a good replacement for the C80 and pathfinder scanner, as it can be linked into seatalk via a special cable. Due to what may be a seatalk wiring problem, I have considered keeping the plotter and radar as a stand alone unit, and not link it to seatalk. I realise that the plotter will not talk to the auto helm, but I don't find that a problem. I will also be incorporating an AIS transponder which I am told will give me an NMEA 0813 feed for the DSC radio, and eliminate the need to buy a heading sensor for the radar.

Loads of folks have changed that battery and have got their Raymarine GPS receiver to function again, personally never had any success going down that route on two different boats, a £50. 00 chinese knock off from ebay solved the no satellite problem and when one of those slowed up after 18 months the seller just sent me a new one.

Last edited:

KREW2

Visit site
Loads of folks have changed that battery and have got their Raymarine GPS receiver to function again, personally never had any success going down that route on two different boats, a £50. 00 chinese knock off from ebay solved the no satellite problem and when one of those slowed up after 18 months the seller just sent me a new one.

I bought a new gps antenna from JG Tech it worked fine when I connected it directly to the C80 as a stand alone unit. Unfortunately I had no Marpa on the radar or EBL facilities because the heading sensor was not linked in through seatalk.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Worth a check
Are you sure the AIS transponder will eliminate the need to buy a heading sensor?
I thought is just picked up and transmitted GPS data.
I assume you want heading data for MARPA

Last edited:

KREW2

Visit site
Worth a check
Are you sure the AIS transponder will eliminate the need to buy a heading sensor?
I thought is just picked up and transmitted GPS data.
I assume you want heading data for MARPA

Yes you are right I wont have MARPA , but with an AIS transponder I will have CPA info readily at hand. The heading sensor will still work with the auto helm.
I have just had two more thoughts.
The electronic, techy guy has told me he will send me a quote for an ex demo Element 9 plus wireless scanner they have. If it is reasonable I will probably go for it, plus an AIS transponder.
My other option would be to try and link the Element series into seatalk so as to have full radar facilities, and dispense with an AIS transponder. Of course this would not transmit my position.
I have just realised that running with my old C80 with a new GPS antenna, which I have, and an AIS transponder as a stand alone system, would give me the same result I would get by installing an Element 9 plotter and scanner, and not linking it to seatalk. I may look into if a transponder can be connected via the cables I have to the raymarine C80

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Yes you are right I wont have MARPA , but with an AIS transponder I will have CPA info readily at hand. The heading sensor will still work with the auto helm.
I have just had two more thoughts.
The electronic, techy guy has told me he will send me a quote for an ex demo Element 9 plus wireless scanner they have. If it is reasonable I will probably go for it, plus an AIS transponder.
My other option would be to try and link the Element series into seatalk so as to have full radar facilities, and dispense with an AIS transponder. Of course this would not transmit my position.
I have just realised that running with my old C80 with a new GPS antenna, which I have, and an AIS transponder as a stand alone system, would give me the same result I would get by installing an Element 9 plotter and scanner, and not linking it to seatalk. I may look into if a transponder can be connected via the cables I have to the raymarine C80
Ah! you have an auto helm (unlike me) so the heading sensor involved should (I think) give information to allow MARPA.