Raymarine C80- adding Radar Surprise

Chuteman

Visit site
Well, at least it was to me.
"inherited" C80 - thought adding Radar would be pretty straightforward with more than a couple of options.
In speaking with a RM/distributor, they casually mentioned the C80 only accepts analog Radar. Humm, OK.
Then later in the conversation said that RM no longer makes analog radar that would be compatible with C80. This usa distributor has only a couple 18" 4kw analog units left after buying up remaining inventory from others. Have not verified that yet.

BTW Navionics Gold Chart pricing was also an attention getter

Concerned that C80 in particular, RM in general might not be the place to invest $$$ in new purchases especially with newer & more cost effective
gear available.

Has anyone else tackled this little surprise? Or have ideas / suggestions?:confused:

P.S. "inherited" C80 is on boat in UK - in case someone wonders why usa location guy is posting here

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Marine electronics, like all electronics, is a fast-moving market, and you need to remember that the C80 is pretty old now. You can still buy new analogue radomes in the UK, or there are usually a few used ones on eBay.

I'm surprised that you think Navionics Gold pricing is an "attention getter". Have you compared the cost of other chart systems, because I reckon they'll all in the same league.

Chuteman

Visit site
knowing and then knowing

pvb - thanks for the response
Fast Moving Electronics - agree & understand. C80 - I did not realize that it was that old when I "inherited" - too busy with the "Big" picture

Now that I'm aware - it has me wondering about investing $$$ in that "pretty old now" gear acknowledging it's a moving target marketplace overall

UK Analog Radar availability and/or ebay - will consider

Electronic Charts - other than Garmin handheld BlueChart a long time ago (and yes, they were not giving it away), I had no point of reference + when I project forward regarding longer passages(multiple purchases) & it seems like Navionics slices certain coverage areas pretty thinly - it got my attention

Ignorance is Bliss:)