Raymarine C120 Plotter / Radar - second screen / repeater

superheat6k

Visit site
I am not familiar with the Raymarine C series radar / plotters. My new boat has one and I would like to know if I can add a repeater for the fly steering position running from the same radome and ideally showing the same track, plot, etc.

If so what hardware would I need ?

Momac

Visit site
My boat had no fixed plotter so I have fitted a Raymarine e7 at the upper helm. I dont have radar . I am pretty sure the e7 and the current models would be no good with an old radar equipment - would need a digital radar.
Therefore I think you need to look for a used c series plotter of the same era as the one you have already.
I suggest you might contact Raymarine to verify this.

jwilson

Visit site
About 7-8 years ago wanted the same thing but sailboat chart table to helm repeater - all enquiries said C-series cannot have repeaters, you needed then two E-series or now the new touchscreen e-series. Doubt if much has changed.

Pavalijo

Visit site
I have the C80 and wanted to do the same - no chance!
I did look at changing to the E series (which will bluetooth to an iPad) and then discovered that the radar is not compatible so that has to be replaced too. The good news is that the ST60 instruments can be retained wth some sort of converter.

The upshot was that to have a repeater in the cockpit, with the boat show offer of plotter plus half price radar, I was looking at over 3k including fitting - plus the cost of the iPad - and that is after allowing a receipt for the old kit.

So we have purchased the iPad with the intention of running navigation software on it to have a plotter in the cockpit. We will run that before deciding whether to part with £3k.

Slipstream 34

Visit site
The classic C-series cannot feed a repeater so a separate plotter would be needed.

I changed my C to a classic E-series, it has a video out facility which can repeat on a standard monitor. The classic E runs the old radar.

Possible option is look for a second hand classic E120 plotter and off set the cost by selling your C120.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Dunno about Seatalk, but you can't have two NMEA0183 "talkers" on the same network, I tried to use my GPS 152 as a standby, none of the other devices would communicate when the additional device was plugged in, let alone switched on... The only way you can get this stuff to work is with later protocols (NMEA 2000)

dunedin

Visit site
Is the radar an essential to repeat at both locations (particularly with AIS these days)?

We had a three year old E-wide series at the helm - have added an e7 below, which also gives wifi.

They run largely independently, but that is perhaps a benefit for avoiding single point of failure. However there is enough basic integration (via SeatalkNG in our case, but presumably also via NMEA) to for example
- send the waypoint data to the other plotter - we do all waypoint and route setting below on the e7 but show current waypoint on the cockpit one
- share AIS target data