raymarine C120 failing to boot up properly

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
I have a problem with my C120 chartplotter, and do not know whether I need to send the unit off for repair, or whether it is an easily solved problem (or one which may be about data or power supply to the plotter), which could be sorted over the phone.

The plotter switches on and it gets to the first raymarine screen, but then powers off and then powers on again in a continuous cycle. Every now and again it goes a little further to the nav. warning page, and very occasionally will get to the chart page, but then after a variable time (usually seconds) will power off and try to reboot again.

The red power button does not interrupt the cycle.. the only way I can stop it is to switch off the master switch.

I have done a factory reboot, with no success, and also have managed (on one of the rare times it got beyond screen one) to load the latest software ( V 5.04). but this has not made any difference.

I don’t know if this is likely to be a problem with the plotter itself or some ancillary issue.

Any ideas before I send it off ...

Carol

Talulah

Visit site
I have a problem with my C120 chartplotter, and do not know whether I need to send the unit off for repair, or whether it is an easily solved problem (or one which may be about data or power supply to the plotter), which could be sorted over the phone.

The plotter switches on and it gets to the first raymarine screen, but then powers off and then powers on again in a continuous cycle. Every now and again it goes a little further to the nav. warning page, and very occasionally will get to the chart page, but then after a variable time (usually seconds) will power off and try to reboot again.

The red power button does not interrupt the cycle.. the only way I can stop it is to switch off the master switch.

I have done a factory reboot, with no success, and also have managed (on one of the rare times it got beyond screen one) to load the latest software ( V 5.04). but this has not made any difference.

I don’t know if this is likely to be a problem with the plotter itself or some ancillary issue.

Any ideas before I send it off ...

Carol

My money is on power supply connection. Could be corrosion issues or cables not sufficiently connected.
Have you tried powering up with everything else disconnected from the back of the plotter and CF card removed?
If it still fails to power up connect power supply direct to battery and see what happens.

malcp

Visit site
First thing I would check is the supply voltage to the C120. I would also check the +12v and 0v connection in case there's a high impedance joint which drops too much voltage as soon as any current draw occurs. Try disconnecting any other equipment from it, like Radar, fishfinder, Seatalk devices (Instruments) and see if you can successfully boot it up on it's own. If successful try again with each item of equipment re-connected at a time to see which it is.

You said you did a Factory reset. Was that the Settings and Data Reset? If it wasn't try that. I'm wondering about a possible corrupted data base. You will loose your Routes and waypoints though.

Carolwildbird

OK.. tried powering it up without the CF card and with the NMEA cable disconnected... just power lead connected. No change: still going through the power up repeat cycle.

I did the full factory reset...so have already lost waypoints etc (doesnt matter as they were all from the Med, and next time I use it I will be popping out in the channel)...

Guess I'll need to do some more investigation of power supply...

jrudge

Visit site
I had a new C 120 wide that had a power up issue. There are two types of reset. One is a soft reset and one the full monty. (obscures set of key presses).

The boat is in France. Tried everything. Failed. Sent it to raymarine in uk. Back in 2 days. Get in quick before the weather improves! All free under warranty.

Carolwildbird

I did what several people have called a master or factory reset (not in manual, but as instructed by waypoint in plymouth): unit off, press the first soft key next to the power button and hold it. Press power button (while keeping the soft key pressed). Message pops up stating that it will reset, followed by a countdown (keep pressing on the soft key). Once beeping is done, release the soft key.

Is there another way?

Carol

Tomahawk

Visit site
Do you know anyone else nearby with a similar unit on board? ..if so take it on board their boat and plug in... After asking first.... That will eliminate any installation issues on your setup.. After that .. Into the post and off to Portsmouth with it.. They are very helpful ....

Actually they were so helpful they once repaired my autopilot under warranty even after it had run out... On another occasion I sent back all my instruments to have a software reset.. The normal charge is half an hour to look at something .... But when I sent all 12 units in all they did a deal for me ..

SteveSarabande

Visit site
Carol

Shame I am not joining you earlier, I was an electronics techie in the RAF, radios and radar, lol

I found this manual, http://www.raymarine.com/GetFile.aspx?fileId=485&categoryId=3

Page 195 gives some info on constant power cycles, but it might be what you already tried. Maybe a stuck button?
Display continually resets, reboots or initiates power cycles
Check that buttons are not stuck down or held down by the facia bezel.
• Save waypoint, route and track data if you can. A reset is necessary which will erase all stored data
and settings.
• While the display continuesto reboot, press and hold the first softkey (next to the power button).
• Keep the softkey held down while the system reboots. A “Factory Reset” countdown is displayed.
Keep holding the softkey down until the countdown completes. The display restarts, and the factory
reset is complete.
• Perform a software upgrade or reinstall software if the latest software is already installed.

Last edited:

Carolwildbird

Hi Steve

Yes, I found that advice too.. I have checked the buttons and they all seem Ok.

Thinks its off to Mr raymarine soon! I don't need it on the canals, but will for the sail northwards (we can do it the old fashioned way of course).. will have a back.up though.

Cheers
carol

bammylovechops

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my E80, try powering up the plotter with the boat engines running, max voltage to batteries, it appears my batteries were a bit dodgy, new batteries and all is well.
It does sound like a voltage supply issue to me for what it's worth:rolleyes:

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my E80, try powering up the plotter with the boat engines running, max voltage to batteries, it appears my batteries were a bit dodgy, new batteries and all is well.
It does sound like a voltage supply issue to me for what it's worth:rolleyes:

might be worth trying connecting the power cable directly to a battery to eliminate the boat wiring.

MajorF

Visit site
I had a very similar problem with my C120W. It went into Raymarine repairs twice and the CPU & PCB were changed (a circa £420 repair July 2021). However, the fault continued and I spoke to a member of their technical team. He diagnosed a power supply issue but thought it was very unlikely that the power/data lead was the culprit and it was more likely to be a fault i.e. bad wire/crimp etc somewhere between the battery and the non-plug in end of the 1 metre data/power lead. The moral I guess is to check the unit out with a different power supply before sending it in for repair!

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Sounds like an electrical component on the verge of complete failure. May just start to warm up and at some point fails, such as a capacitor. Could also be a dry joint which opens as it gets warm. It may take a few seconds difference each time hence it gets to different points in the startup. May be difficult to spot without the right test equipment.

MajorF

Visit site
Update: The fault that led to my C120W reverting to a black page was found to be a defective fuse holder in the main fuse panel of my T37. The internal fuse only made intermittent contact and hence the power supply to the C120W was disrupted causing the unit to malfunction