Ranger 36

norfolkranger

Visit site
Hi Ian so glad you took notes in 1998 and its good to know her hull number. Would you know if she was built by Northshore or Dellquay? Also how many
were built in total?
I think she still has the original gear boxes since someone told me they were twin disks and of a very good design.
Its interesting to note how far she had logged to that date and I do know that Tony the previous owner had travelled extensively with her in the few years he had her as the new engines had recorded over 800 hours. Just nicely run in.
Surprisingly low hours on the old engines only 1527 hours in 24 years.

Please feel free to send any other info.

Kind regards Pete
petecephas@tiscali.co.uk

Surfacesub

Visit site
Hi Pete,

It seems I'm one big apology. I was thinking hard ( unusual ) about the best way to guide you to your hull number from the position of mine, and that is the number I gave you e. g. 1019. In actual fact you should have 1015 being the 15th of 25 built by Dell Quay and finally Northshore as a production run.

I believe there are a couple or so others built at a later date, which may have been for fishing purposes. However, there is one fitted out in 1988 by C & N to a different spec. and is up for sale, located with mine on the Orwell.

From memory the manufacturers name is engraved on the switch panel. e.g. Northshore Yacht Yards Ltd. A couple of points to identify the builder is the lowered door threshold when the sliding doors were introduced. The spray rails at the stem were shortened back and attempts to reduce the build weight, but I stand to be corrected.

I'm very envious of your Walsham boat shed complete with railed slip way, visible when the back door opens no doubt------------

I will try and scan a few photos for you together with a bit more info.

All for now, Ian.

norfolkranger

Visit site
Hi Ian many thanks for the quick response.
So mine is number 15 off the stocks and yours number 19
What is her name so I can watch out for you?
There was a fishing Ranger for sale at Dereham Norfolk so maybe she was one of those you mention.
There is no engraving on the switch panel and maybe the original panel went when they installed the new Sabre engines. The door thresholds are about six inches up from the outside sliding rail and they have a curved radius each end. Unfortunately they drain inwards from the ledge instead of out so any spray or drips come inside. I will rectify them one day possibly with wider thresholds so someone can sit on them, sitting space being at a premium in the wheelhouse.
Looking forward to seeing your pics and further info.

I saw the advert for the C&N Ranger on the Orwell she looks great inside and gives me a few ideas for later mods. Do you have a berth there too?
Incidentally the Walsham site where the pic was taken is not my home, sadly we could not complete on the purchase so finished up mooring in a dyke at Acle.
Cheers for now, Pete

lawson

Visit site
cavallino

Chap called John Skuse owned one until recently, called Cavallino.
Said it was a nice boat but a bit wet.

His son Gurraint Skuse, used to work at B A Peters in Chichester. May be worth a phone call.

Hi there, I was wandering if you know the phone number of John Skuse, as I would like to get in touch with him as I have owned Cavallino now over 3 years, I have her moored on the river Severn, near Tewkesbury,
my email address is... lawsonyardley@blueyonder.co.uk

regards Lawson

morpheus101

Visit site
Ranger 36 Batteries

Hi Folks,

I purchased a Ranger 36("Far Ranger" formerly named "Flopsy") last year and re-fitted her over the winter period. She's back in the water now and I'm starting to work on the engines (Ford Sabre 300's with handed TwinDisc's) She's moored in Brundall, Norfolk with hull number R1005 (Dell Quay built). The boat has a 24V system on board with both battery banks serving as Start and part House. I need to change the batteries as both banks are past their best. Can anyone advise on the Amp rating I should go for. Many thanks

Erik

JAMESG

Visit site
Hi all,

My family have owned 'Saga' since '95, and since then she has resided on the inland waterways of Ireland - Shannon & Erne

She is boat no.12 (1012) built in 1974, and still has her original Ford Sabre 210's.

Paul, with regards, to speed, she will comfortably still achieve 24knts flatout.

Back in the day, the specs detailed 26knts as the max with these engines.

Incidently, in '95 we almost purchased the very first ranger built ('Flica' - later renamed 'Sonasta'). This was a fine boat with GRP hull and solid teak superstructure. The first three rangers were built by Dell Quay like this (teak superstructure) and from what I understand they were built to Lloyds 100 A1 standard. As such, they were heavier than later boats, and the Lloyds effort was dropped as it was not conducive to achieving planing speeds. The first boat had original Perkins 6354's (maybe 175hp?)

It would be interesting to know when the first of the Northshore boats was built. I notice 'Far Ranger' / Flopsy is a Dell Quay.

At the time of viewing hull no.1, the very last of the northsore rangers happened to be based at the marina in Bangor. Reportedly this boat had twin 300hp Ivecos and ZF gearboxes and would cruise at 30knts

Currently there is a '76 boat on the market with twin 270hp Iveco's installed, which will cruise at 20knts and achieve 28knts max.

Interestestly, I have noticed widely varied figures for maximum speeds on advertisments over the years.

It great to hear of other enthusiasts - great boats!

James

morpheus101

Visit site
Hi James,

They sure are lovely boats!!

Far Ranger has teak decks but Grp superstructure. Does Saga have a 24v system on board? if so, what Amp ratings are the batteries as I need to change both banks

Erik

boatsboats

Visit site
Hi all i have the first ranger built 1001 its in good condition inside and out the engines are running good.
I am thinking of selling her could anyone let me know what the asking price should be around (give or take). i am in west of Ireland phil.monaghan@hotmail.com