Ramsholt moorings

kev99

Visit site
We picked up a mooring at Ramsholt on Thursday for the first time in quite a few years. Still as lovely as ever, but of course sadly very different now. Just wanted to say to the mooring holders and anybody else with an interest in these things that the facility to be able to have this free and easy approach is very much appreciated and so naturally I've made an appropriate donation.
Friday morning on the river was absolutely still, flat water and misty, which quickly cleared to leave a beautiful view of herons and egrets stalking the shoreline and oystercatchers and shelducks dabbling around at the waters edge.

kev99

Visit site
.....until..........these three gentlemen came roaring past at around 20kts+ from the direction of Waldringfield or Woodbridge, scattering the birds in absolute panic.
vlcsnap-2024-06-23-09h41m01s703 - Copy.png

If anyone knows this boat, please can they respectfully explain to the "driver" that there is a speed limit on the river above the waterski area of 8kts?

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Sadly, this is common to the point of being normal on our rivers nowadays. Zero concern for anything or anybody but themselves.
Yesterday we were in the anchorage by Havergate on the Ore and enjoyed a full day of speedboat and fast rib hell.
Of at least 20 that passed us and the other anchored boats not a single one slowed down & several passed within 20m

DanTribe

Visit site
Not sure where you were but there is a designated water ski area downstream from Dove Point. One of the only water-skiing areas. I've usually found it well disciplined. Plenty of alternatives for yachts. Not a speedboat enthusiast.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Not sure where you were but there is a designated water ski area downstream from Dove Point. One of the only water-skiing areas. I've usually found it well disciplined. Plenty of alternatives for yachts. Not a speedboat enthusiast.
Nowhere near the skiing are. Between the two landing points in Short Gull, close to the Havergate side.
I don’t know if there’s a speed limit on that or any other stretch of the Ore but the behaviour on display was awful whatever. Several speeding boats, which were doing circuits of the island, actually altered course to pass between our boat and the much closer bank.
They also paid no heed to the few small dinghies being sailed by both adults and children.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
I’ve just been corrected on my first post by Mrs Knot.
One rib, which passed close inside of us, did actually slow down - from about 25kts to between 10 and 15 which probably doubled the amount of wash but I suppose it’s the thought that counts 😂

DanTribe

Visit site
Nowhere near the skiing are. Between the two landing points in Short Gull, close to the Havergate side.
I don’t know if there’s a speed limit on that or any other stretch of the Ore but the behaviour on display was awful whatever. Several speeding boats, which were doing circuits of the island, actually altered course to pass between our boat and the much closer bank.
They also paid no heed to the few small dinghies being sailed by both adults and children.
Then I withdraw my comment. Thete's no excuse for loutish behaviour.

MikeBz

Visit site
There are always RIBs running at high speed between Waldringfield and somewhere downstream (Ramsholt or FF I guess). I’d assumed it was an unrestricted zone.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
There are always RIBs running at high speed between Waldringfield and somewhere downstream (Ramsholt or FF I guess). I’d assumed it was an unrestricted zone.
No, 8kts - summertime only, I believe.
There are about half a dozen. They were asked by Waldringfield HM to be more considerate some time ago.
The response, apparently, was an extremely aggressive: “Get lost” (I paraphrase) “We’ll do what we want”

Leighb

Visit site
The unrestricted area is below Ramsholt, down to a bit above the moorings at F F. There are signs on the bank showing the limits. The rest of the river above Ramsholt is 8kts. I think it is 10kts in the section past FF and Bawdsey but am not certain, don't have my charts anymore to check.

Mister E

Visit site
The only thing that will stop this problem is if they are denied access.
My favourite solution would be to blast them out of the water.