rams horn jammed

Marceline

Visit site
We've got our boat back on the water ok (many thanks to everyone for all the advice re: skin fittings last month) and all is looking ok apart from when we came to put up the main sail looks like the rams horn for reefing is jammed solid

I tried to get it to move by tapping it with a rubber mallet (but didn't want to use more force incase it damages anything/makes it worse)

It used to be free moving but I think it got jammed against the mast over winter and wind movement of the boom has caused it to get stuck (and looks like it got pushed into the mast/made some grooves)

Just hoped if anyone can give some advice what to try ? I've thought of trying to remove the boom by taking out the bolt holding it to the mast and see if we can force it free - but would be glad of any other suggestions/advice

Attachments

• rams1.jpg
    rams1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 72
  • rams2.jpg
    rams2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 71

Thistle

Visit site
At the moment it looks as though a tightly curved section has got wedged in the hole in the gooseneck. Tap it with the aim of getting the horns level.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Pour boiling water on. It'll desolve any encrusted salt, and warm and expand the fittings, which may also help.

Won't do any harm, and an easy fix for many things jammed on a yacht.

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Remove vertical gooseneck bolt ,Try pivoting the horns fore and aft and a light oiling may help . The locating hole for the hooks is usually shaped to allow them to lean aft slightly.But bashing an aluminium casting is not the best idea and if something breaks,more expensive to deal with .

Marceline

Visit site
Huge and many thanks to you all - lots of good ideas and suggestions for us to try (y)

we're off to the boat this morning and hopefully get it sorted

thanks again and will let you know how we got on

Marceline

Visit site
Do let us know how you get on and what worked!!
Thanks again - managed to get it un-jammed and its moving freely now

Thankfully it just needed the pressure taking off the boom from the topping lift - I dropped the boom into the cockpit to make a start and managed to gently free it (was all prepped to use all the other ideas)

I'll remember all those suggestions though incase this (or something similar) happens again.

Hope you're all having a good Bank Hols weekend and thanks for all the advice and help