Rally observation

Little_Russel

Visit site
Rallies intrique me. Why don't these people just get organised and go off on their own? Do they want to meet the same people at each port? I gather that you even have to pay extra! Whatever happened to the idea that people who sail should 'drown like gentlemen' rather than rely on others to look after them? Not a criticism, just not my bag I guess.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
don\'t knock it till you\'ve tried it

there's a lot of sneering at rally participants, the assumption seeming to be that they are somehow less adventurous/ seamanlike/ macho etc.

i've crossed the atlantic independently, with the ARC and as part of an informal group (in that order)

rally pros:

berthing discounts
parties
safety backup
logistical support
position reporting for relatives & friends
racing for fun
interest from locals
useful seminars

cons:
extra cost
starting on a set day regardless of weather
missing intermediate ports

<hr width=100% size=1>

banana

Visit site
How do gentlemen drown. what if they are not gentlemen. do women and children have to drown like gentlemen too. i hope when you go down that your lip stays very stiff. if people want to meet for rallies, let them. if others want to go off on their lonesome, let them. why are you so angry about it. can't find anyone to drown like a gentleman with?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I think the only thing that gets up my nose when I encounter a rally is that all of a sudden I am no longer welcome at my chosen destination. Getting turned away from an empty visitor's berth after a day's sail, because you are not in the "right" crowd always leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and disinclines me to go there again.

Fortunately I have found this to be almost exclusively a Solent Weekend problem, so there is usually somewhere else to go nearby and even Yarmouth is empty by mid-week, even in August. The answer, as ever, is to obtain enough funds so I can retire tomorrow, go sailing for 5 days and gardening at weekends.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I'm not sure that rally participants do rely on each other as you suggest. Rally participation seems one of those activities that you either do or don't - I cannot understand why there were around 1000 caravans near us at the weekend, but apart from the weather, they all seemed a happy bunch and there seemed to be a lot going on. Not my idea of a weekend, yet in marinas or anchorages I'm very happy to chat with people and maybe drink or eat with them. Its just social interaction on a scale smaller than a rally, but nevertheless people of similar interests which I assume are the guiding principles of a rally?. Do you?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
So what's the difference between a rally and "cruising in company"? Personally I benefited considerably from the latter in the early stages of my cruising career. No finer way, IMHO, to learn passage planning, berthing, anchoring and many of the finer points of cruising than to accompany experienced friends. Plus it makes the evenings in the bar more interesting.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
It could possibly be the deciding factor that gets wavering swmbo and/or kids to agree to the trip at all.

uncertain swmbo faced with going solo, or fed diet of 'backup, support, help, advice, company, assistance, other kids to make friends with' might well choose the latter option.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

snowleopard

Visit site
very good point

going on the ARC gave SWMBO a sense of security which persuaded her to go rather than fly or stay home. it's a very comforting thing for nervous newbies.

<hr width=100% size=1>