Rafting up?

l'escargot

Visit site
I raft more often than not, but I wouldn't expect to have to provide fenders for a boat coming outside of me. If you raft onto a boat, you should ensure that you have adequate fenders and lines to do so safely - especially shore lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I have recounted this story here before, but it's a good one, so apologies to anyone who has read it already.

I arrived at the marina on Kerrera Island off Oban, which was pretty full, and was directed by the berthing master to raft alongside a large Swedish yacht. Politely asking the occupants of the inside boat whether we could walk across their boat to the shore, we were somewhat taken aback when they said no. For the remainder of our stay we used the dinghy to travel the 3m to shore.

All othe Swedish sailors I have met have been very helful and friendly.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

JamesS

Visit site
Having read all of the post above - it confirms my view that rafting up is the one excercise to bring out the best and worst of everyone.

I know I've met some charming people as well as meeting some of the most selfish people afloat.

One of most alarming episodes I saw (although it didn't affect me directly) was at The Folly where a 60' motor cruiser had spent lunchtime and the best part of the afternoon on the Folly pontoon drinking the bar dry.

At 5pm the skipper departed to drop his guests off somewhere only to return two hours later to find 'his' pontoon was now occupied by half a dozen 30 footers rafted out.

His response was simply to raft himself on the ouside much to the concern of the inside boats.

Prehaps he knew no better.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Sorry to disagree with you. I think it is part of sailing etiquette to anticipate somebody coming alongside you. It is in France anyway.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

l'escargot

Visit site
It doesn't happen in England. It's a bit like expecting the HM to put out his fenders on the wall, or the marina to put fenders on every pontoon, to save you having to use your own. I only moor one side on not between objects, so I do not need to have double the fenders just in case someone else doesn't carry adequate equipment for their needs. I'll always try to help someone out and try to carry a few spare items, but we all should at least set out with sufficient equipment for our own needs. What would you have done if there hadn't been another boat to raft up to and you were on the wall?
I'll anticipate anybody coming alongside and go out of my way to help them, but I do expect them to have sufficient lines and fenders for the purpose, I consider that sailing etiquette.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Joe_Cole

Visit site
In many ways you are right but I usually put out one or two fenders.
1. If they haven't got enough it will protect my topsides
2. It serves to say "Come alongside if you wish" It just seems helpful. (But I must admit that sometimes I would rather come alongside when the other boat has no fenders out. The damned things can get tangled up with mine!)

Joe

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
We may be talking at cross purposes. I did have lines and fenders out. In fact when I am coming into a crowded harbour I have them prepared on both sides 3 fenders to a side on a 30' boat - because I am not sure where I am going to berth. Then I can concentrate on coming along side without having to panic adjust the fenders at the last moment. I then leave the others - or at least 2 - on the open side - not only for etiquette but with a little bit of enlightened self interest when I see the the attempts that some (who are less caring about their topsides) make.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

whisper

Visit site
Yes, but that is done on the HM's instructions and he has a record of the capacity of all their moorings. I imagine this is done in quite a few harbours.
I'm not sure I'd be so keen in sharing in less organised surroundings.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
I agree with most of the views here. Rafting is the only means to ensure reasonabe space to manoeuvrein low season, dense packing of popular spots in high season. I think that you should, where possible, "ask" though the request almost always agreed, the request essentailly raftee time to lay extra fenders or otherwise prepare.

I can think of few occassions when rafting might be reasonably refused, but one such time is by the owner of an utterly brand spanking new new boat with a coloured hull. I wafted past one in the mdeina, and saisd that we'd raft up to him in a few months time after somebody else had taken a few lumps out of it. He seemed very relieved.

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
Re: fenders

the other issue is surely storage on most boats! I have sufficent fenders to either deal with one side of the boat regardless of weather, currents, height of dock etc or I can spread them more thinly between the two sides, which may be appropriate for coming in (as stated above) but sure as hell isn't up to having three other boats outside me with a tide or current running!
Everyone should have enough to handle 'one side' properly.....
Accept the point about friendly welcome but I find most people are happy to use their fenders and prefer a welcoming drink - given the choice I do too!

<hr width=100% size=1>