Radio Ocean VHF - fault

G

My boat is fitted with a VHF made by a company called Radio Ocean. The set is about 10 years old, made in Japan, very good sound quality, so I don't wish to replace it.
Trouble is, it has a fault in the hand set (telephone type) which is not allowing transmission. A radio engineering had a look at it and said that the problem was that the microphone diaphragm(?) had gone soft and couldn't pick up voice vibration so, effectively, there is nothing to transmit. They said they couldn't repair the set and suggested buying a new one.
As everything else works I'm loath to do that.
Can anyone offer any help - where I might get spares, location of radio parts "junkyard", or experience of fixing a similar problem?

Regards

Brendan

c

G

If the connector from the handset is the standard xxx borrow a fist mike / telephone type from a friend and try it. If OK I am sure someone will sell you a fist mike etc. If in the Portsmouth area try AWMarine, Alan normally has some ideas it shouldn't be too hard to wire a new mike in if not the standard plug. On my last baot I had a lovely Husan 55 that got stolen along witha load of other kit for some obscure reason they left the fist mike behind (they didn't leave much else!!!) The husan fist mike also worked on the replacement set. Might be worth a try.

good luck
Pete