Radio Checks

SwedishLass

Visit site
Having just returned from parts foreign with just my young son as crew I confess to my second radio check of the season. (The first was following mast stepping). I taught him the protocol and under my supervision he made the request. If it all went belly up, there is nothing like the confidence of being able to correctly set up and receive a message in case you have to do it for real. The "Oh ****!" card is by the radio for correct transmission protocol in that event. Showing is one thing but doing is learning. I remember the nerves for my first call and saw his nerves in this case. In all fairness Thames did check it was supervised by requesting the International call sign.
I agree that every weekend by the same boat and the same user is irritating but it can sometimes contribute to a bigger safety issue. A premeditated radio check is the simplest and most airtime efficient way of giving a new user the confidence to set the system up correctly, first time.

Frontier

Visit site
Guilty,

I had the pleasure of doing a sea trial in what will hopefully be my new boat (new to me not brand new) on Saturday.

Part of my check list was to test the VHF, everyone knows that the transmitter part of a transceiver is the easiest bit to blow. So unless you call someone, all you know for sure is you can receive,

Sorry I promise not to do it all the time once I have her :)

fireball

Visit site
And calling the marina office from a local berth is not a good check - as we found out at the beginning of the season - a dodgy antenna cable connection meant that we could transmit within about a mile or so, but no further - we noted that we could receive more on the handheld!! thats why we checked the cabling...

Ben_e_Toe

Visit site
Not in the habit of cheking my VHF as I tend to use the ships VHF to listen and a handheld to transmitt. Last time I actually used the ships VHF to transmitt, found that it doesn't transmit further than I could throw a tennis ball.....

'jtwebb' how do you use an SWR to regularly test? Is it permanently wired in or do you have to go around disconnecting leads to check the SWR? Is there a way to set-up an SWR on board so that you have an instant check each time you switch on?

ghostwriter

Visit site
Re: existentialism at work

hold it right there Homer ... you actually want me to believe that what I'm reading here is NOT a figment of my deranged imagination ??

nurse, nurse, the funny creatures are there again /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif