Radio check.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
SWR (standing wave ratio) is not particularly important for reception so a radio will receive with almost any wire or wet string poked in the back. Where it falls down is transmitting into the same antenna which is why only a transmitted "radio check" will verify all is well. Except most people do it on full power to a local station which is fairly pointless for the reasons above.

I don't go around routinely testing all bits of equipment I use in my daily life so I don't understand the fascination with radio checks. With solid state gear, it shouldn't be necessary but possible if you're still running a set that uses a pair of Mullard QQV06-40As in push-pull config, then maybe. Once you'd warmed the valves up :LOL:

View attachment 180886
Just to be really picky, you only need one QQVO6-40 to run push pull. It’s a twin tetrode within one envelope. (I used to use them!)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Somewhere between never and every time you set sail would be about right. Personally never done one nor has anyone else I have sailed with.

Do you have a Ship radio licence for your boat and do you personally have a certificate of competence.
Interesting that you’ve never done a radio check. I do them extremely rarely. However I did do one with the coast watch on 65 the other day. Daughters boat wasn’t launched last year so had been out of commission and mast down for 18 months. When mast was back up and everything put back together I tried calling the coast watch. No reply which was when I discovered that thd ICOM radio had somehow changed itself to US VHF frequencies. A wuick Look at the manual and a few buttons pressed and we were loud and clear at Coast Watch Calshot from Hornet Sailing Club. Maybe not a perfect test but good enough as far as I was concerned.

Last edited:

jwilson

Visit site
As with John Morris: only do a radio check after mast down or a new radio fitted, or after I fitted AIS with a splitter to the masthead antenna. Apart from that the occasion routine call to a marina or club launch on low power that works is enough to confirm the thing is working. Do you do an "emergency stop" every time you drive away to check your brakes are working?

I did also have an elderly handheld VHF that appeared to receive fine but was not being answered by the club launch when transmitting: I did do a Coastguard radio check and as I had no answer binned it. I have thus maybe done 5 radio checks in 25 years. Maybe many many years of sailing without a radio transmitter have made me not such a snowflake as the Solent mob. I've been there and heard the silly 'radio check' chatter.

ylop

Visit site
I’ve noticed a marked increase in Radio Check requests to Belfast Coastguard from Clyde based boats this summer. I find good reason to call others by VHF which then has duality of purpose - e.g. advise the marina we’ve departed our berth so available for visitors and when in the Clyde calling Estuary Radio for clearance.
When we kept the boat in JWD we called Estuary Radio every time in/out and so quickly got confidence it was working. Similarly for visiting Rothesay, KHM, etc.

Further West there are generally fewer places like that to call. Away from Oban Bay you also get less general chatter so might be more concerned something is wrong (tip: check the squelch!).

William_H

Visit site
As OP may have figured out things can be different in different places. He needs to find out just who is listening in his area and who to call for a check.
Now not helping at all but here in west oz ch16 is the emergency channel as is all over the world. It is also know as a calling channel where after calling and making contact you move to a working channel (73 here) for messages. However the volunteer sea rescue people prefer you call on 73 for logging on details of your voyage and your ETA. However in more remote areas repeater stations have been set up so you call on a specific channel for that repeater. In leiu of ch 16 although hopefully 16 if any other boats are around.(Local knowledge also found on the web site). So in practice here you should log on with every voyage. (many don't of course) In any case OP should do radio checks at first freqently then perhaps with confidence less frequently. (i really despair of people who carry a radio for safety (comfort) but are really not confident regarding who to call or how.) ol'will
PS Volunteer sea rescue groups are semi official as in financially supported by government as the primary coast guard for amateur and smaller commercial operations.

billyfish

Visit site
If you're in the Solent you should do a radio check, to the coastguard and on ch 16,

1. Every time you leave the marina,
2. Every time someone new takes the tiller
3. Every hour, on the hour
4. Dawn,
5. Dusk,
6. Midday
7. In the marina after drinkies
8. When passing any navigation aid
9. Whenever there is a ship in sight
10. When you see a dolphin

And, don't forget to leave the AIS on when

a) in a marina
b) on the hard
c) when the AIS system is in your hotel room at Ocean Village

😊
🤣🤣🤣

jbweston

Visit site
I am worried I am not doing my radio check at the 'correct midday'.

Can you confirm that it is midday at either:
  • UTC;
  • Meridian Passage; or
  • Local Apparent Noon?
Surely midday is taken to be the start of the lunchbreak at the coastguard station receiving the radio check request, as stations are punctilious about commencing their midday meals exactly at midday. Or thereabouts, if they've started on their rum rations early.

Other threads that may be of interest