Radio Caroline and solar power

Gsailor

Visit site
I read about this good old tub in another section of the forum and google tells me the boat runs on solar energy and has surplus that it feeds back into the grid.

If the boat is afloat in the middle of a river, have they really laid cables to shore?

If so, would they go to Bradwell where a nuclear power station used to be (I.e. are they using the transformers or whatever the electrical carrying gear is?)

Link:
Former pirate station Radio Caroline goes green with solar power.

2ndlly

Do they transmit to Orfordness simply so the signal can be ‘strengthened’ and transmit further?

Or does Orfordness just have a taller aerial? Can a radio wave be boosted or ‘strengthened’?

morgandlm

Visit site
Bit of a misunderstanding here, I think. The Ross Revenge which is currently moored off Bradwell on The Blackwater used to be the pirate radio transmitter for Radio Caroline but apart from occasional visits by paying enthusiasts and (I think) very occasional transmissions is effectively inactive. Radio Caroline is currently transmitted from Orford Ness.

David Morgan

Gsailor

Visit site
Bit of a misunderstanding here, I think. The Ross Revenge which is currently moored off Bradwell on The Blackwater used to be the pirate radio transmitter for Radio Caroline but apart from occasional visits by paying enthusiasts and (I think) very occasional transmissions is effectively inactive. Radio Caroline is currently transmitted from Orford Ness.
David Morgan
Thanks. Have read the article again and it makes perfect sense - as you said (very politely) I had made a lot of errors - I must stop speed reading (my excuse for making a balls up).

Gsailor

Visit site
They only transmit 4kW.
Several UK AM stations are 400kW or more.
MW channels in the UK
Yes, possibly in the link I posted (or perhaps I read it elsewhere) the station is lobbying to be allowed to transmit at greater power (since they are producing more power than they need and feeding the grid was one of their arguments).

davidej

Visit site
I heard Radio Caroline on my car radio recently while on the A12. It claimed to be Maldon’s local radio station. I doubt it was broadcasting from the Ross Revenge which seems to be quietly rusting away. How long will it take before we have another uninsured wreck in the Blackwater?

Keith 66

Visit site
They have recently started a local radio station on fm in the Maldon area. The studio on the ship is used for regular broadcasts via wifi link to shore then to the Orfordness transmitter, they have shore studios as well.
Look at their website & you will find what they are about, Radio Caroline,

Gsailor

Visit site
Retro electronics can be seen working on the vessel on tv - uktvplay is the name of the tv station I think, but am not sure.